Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
03 954, speedo works perfectly, but only registers 40-50% actual speed

bike is completely stock

wondering if its a known issue with the cluster, or the sensor.

i know it only takes a second to swap the sensor, but the weather is shitty and i dont feel like getting the bike up to 100 in my neighborhood right now to test it out.

i also have another cluster, but i dont want to swap it if i dont have to. time consuming pita.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
03 954, speedo works perfectly, but only registers 40-50% actual speed

bike is completely stock

wondering if its a known issue with the cluster, or the sensor.

i know it only takes a second to swap the sensor, but the weather is shitty and i dont feel like getting the bike up to 100 in my neighborhood right now to test it out.

i also have another cluster, but i dont want to swap it if i dont have to. time consuming pita.

This has been a problem since you've owned the bike?
Has it been switched from kph to mph perhaps?
If you have another cluster I would definately try it as it's a very simple way to rule it out.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is not kph thing because i have toggled it back and forth many times, know how to do it.

yup, bought the bike this way

no fault codes, and the speedo is consistent, no flickering or anything fishy. bike was babied.

i also only have good tested 929 sensors on hand. look identical in pics, but different part numbers. i dont want to have to remove the entire upper if i dont have to.

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
it is not kph thing because i have toggled it back and forth many times, know how to do it.

yup, bought the bike this way

no fault codes, and the speedo is consistent, no flickering or anything fishy. bike was babied.

i also only have good tested 929 sensors on hand. look identical in pics, but different part numbers. i dont want to have to remove the entire upper if i dont have to.
If you want I'll come and remove it for you... :p

I've had my front fairing off too many times i guess, cause it's no big deal. 10 minutes tops. 20 minutes combined off and on. Granted it's a rc51 but still very similiar to your 954.
If you have a known good instument cluster, than that seems like the next easiest and cheapest thing to do. C'mon man, slam a couple cups of coffee, and head for the toolbox.
Not that it matters all that much, but think of all the extra miles being stacked up on your odometer.
Good luck, hope it's just a simple instrument swap since you already have one.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
i have done it more times than i can count (not on this bike). doesnt mean i want to waste my time doing it if i can trouble shoot it from my computer while im doin other stuff

i am opting for letting the next owner not care about it enough to fix it as well. hahahahahah

it only seems to do it above 30-40 mph

supposed to be nice over the next few days. over the weekend ill swap out the sensor and see.

it switches back and forth between kmp and mph with no issue, and the speed it registers when it changes is correlationally ? accurate

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
i have done it more times than i can count (not on this bike). doesnt mean i want to waste my time doing it if i can trouble shoot it from my computer while im doin other stuff

i am opting for letting the next owner not care about it enough to fix it as well. hahahahahah

it only seems to do it above 30-40 mph

supposed to be nice over the next few days. over the weekend ill swap out the sensor and see.

it switches back and forth between kmp and mph with no issue, and the speed it registers when it changes is correlationally ? accurate
:patriot: Gotcha. Multi-tasking! Smart.

·
Registered
746 Posts
not much you can do if the weather isn't cooperating. but if it's not the sensor id say speedohealer unless your just tryin to flip the bike for some cash

1 - 8 of 8 Posts