Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 1998 RRW and the speedo works perfectly, but only once the engine temperature is up to 80 degrees plus. Anyone got any ideas what is causing this and how to fix it?

I know you may think sensor, but I can't see that the temperature would affect that.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Just bought a 1998 RRW and the speedo works perfectly, but only once the engine temperature is up to 80 degrees plus. Anyone got any ideas what is causing this and how to fix it?

I know you may think sensor, but I can't see that the temperature would affect that.
Just the speedo or tach also?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is just the Speedo. Sometimes it starts working, but then if I open her up, it stops again. The other day I drove at 40mph for 20 minutes, the bike was hot, but it did not start working. Then I stopped for 2 minutes, re-started the engine and a I drove off, it was working!

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
If the speed sensor is off of the front sprocket, pull the cover, inspect it, clean it, and re-install. It might just be gummed up. But that would only solve the speedo issue, not the tach. I dont know where the tach gets it signal from on a 900rr

·
Registered
921 Posts
His problem is only with the speedo. The sensor is in the top of the tranny, not on the spocket. That is how the old school mechanical speedos worked.. either off the sprocket or front wheel.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Make sure non of your wiring is touching anything hot Radiator,engine atc. I had a problem summarily to yours . Wound up being my wiring harness was touching the radiator,so I went to my local hot rod shop and bought some heat resistant wiring wrap, you cold use an old coolant hose or something. Hope this helped you :thumb:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts