Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of going down 1 or 2 teeth on the front sprocket on my 954: will this require a "yellow box" speedo recalibrator like I had to fit on my VFR? (Sorry if this has been asked before - if so, please redirect me to the appropriate thread).

Thanks and Happy New Year!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Unless you want to do the math in your head every time you look at the speedo, and you don't mind the mileage adding up incorrectly.... yeah, you're going to need a yellow box or a speedo-healer.

Happy New Year :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unless you want to do the math in your head every time you look at the speedo, and you don't mind the mileage adding up incorrectly.... yeah, you're going to need a yellow box or a speedo-healer.
So much for a $20 modification! As I recall the yellow box wasn't cheap and then had to be fitted and calibrated. Oh well, I'd better start saving up....

·
Registered
12,773 Posts
you don't really need your speedo anyway. You should know when you're going too fast. you have an idea now of how fast the bike is going, know your surroundings and how quickly things are passing and you'll be fine. I'd still want to fix it though cause it would bother me everytime I looked at it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
ndj said:
I am thinking of going down 1 or 2 teeth on the front sprocket on my 954: will this require a "yellow box" speedo recalibrator like I had to fit on my VFR? (Sorry if this has been asked before - if so, please redirect me to the appropriate thread).

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Here's another place to purchase the Speedo-Healer

CALSPORTBIKE

It's a good idea to install the product as soon as you complete your changes since re-gearing the bike racks up miles on the speedo a bit quicker.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Ahlman product! Plug and play. Just borrow (if you don't have one) a GPS unit from a friend and dial it in. :thumb: Yeah, your $20 mod just turned into a $100+ mod, but it's still worth it.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Bacchus said:
Ahlman product! Plug and play.
Same with the speedo healer, which also has a top speed recall. I just hooked up the batt wires, plugged in the harness and it was done.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Actually the miles on the engine will be correct, but your distance travelled will not... me thinks????? Ahlman is the man!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hoagie said:
I don't see any need to go any more than -1 in the front... if that.
How many teeth does the 954 front sprocket have as standard? Anybody know?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ndj - 16 tooth as standard. I went -1 at the front and it is the cheapest power mod ever! :thumb:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Troll said:
Ndj - 16 tooth as standard. I went -1 at the front and it is the cheapest power mod ever! :thumb:
Why not -2 just out of interest? I went -2 on my '99 VFR800 and it was able to pull throttle wheelies in 2nd and still ran to 241kmh (on a recalibrated and accurate speedo).

BTW - did you get a yellowbox speedo recalibrator?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Only went -1 because my chain was already fairly stretched (and as I understood a smaller sprocket means chain is more loose), and at the time wasn't particularly financial to change everything. So -1 was the choice for me. I already had a PCIII and a slip on Akrapovic.

As far as top speed went, I could still get to (indicated) 290+ I haven't adjusted the speedo, but by riding alongside others with standard gearing, it appears to be roughly 10% higher. (110km/h indicated at 100km/h actual...)

Also I just (an hour ago) picked up a 44t Renthal rear sprocket and new 530 DID chain! The guys at The Honda Shop are awesome. :thumb:

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Troll said:
Only went -1 because my chain was already fairly stretched (and as I understood a smaller sprocket means chain is more loose), and at the time wasn't particularly financial to change everything. So -1 was the choice for me. I already had a PCIII and a slip on Akrapovic.

As far as top speed went, I could still get to (indicated) 290+ I haven't adjusted the speedo, but by riding alongside others with standard gearing, it appears to be roughly 10% higher. (110km/h indicated at 100km/h actual...)

Also I just (an hour ago) picked up a 44t Renthal rear sprocket and new 530 DID chain! The guys at The Honda Shop are awesome. :thumb:
Just got off the phone with the Honda Shop and they quoted me $38 for a 15 tooth front sprocket. Apparently 14 tooth ones are not available which I find hard to believe. Ideally I'd go for the 14 tooth to make the exercise worthwhile (14.3% difference instead of only 6.7%). I could get a larger rear sprocket as well of course but they cost more. They also quoted me $40 to fit the sprocket including shortening the chain. A 15 tooth should alter speedo reading as follows: 106.7kmh at 100kmh.

Also I just called Applied Instrument Co in Balcatta and they would fit a speedo recalibrator for $165.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Cool! Do applied instrument's supply the re-calibrators cheaper, or do they only do installation?

I reckon the 14t could probably be sourced. All the parts guys at The Honda Shop are new so maybe they are unaware of such a beast.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Troll said:
Cool! Do applied instrument's supply the re-calibrators cheaper, or do they only do installation?

I reckon the 14t could probably be sourced. All the parts guys at The Honda Shop are new so maybe they are unaware of such a beast.
That price is fitted so I guess it would be cheaper without the labour. Their number is 9240 6999.

Yeah the guy at the Honda shop did seem a bit unsure of himself and what was available. That explains it.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts