Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a peculiar problem regarding the speedometer on my ’01 929.  Bike was sitting for approximately 2-weeks, and when I took it out for a quick ride this past weekend, the speedometer would not increase from “0” as speeds increased.  The cluster seems alright as the clock works fine and everything else appears normal when the bike is at idle (i.e. speedo shows “0”, odometer is displayed properly, trip-odometer is displayed, etc.).  Once the bike gets moving however, the speedo does not indicate the increase in speed and remains as “0”.  

Now the interesting part.  After initially riding anywhere from five to ten miles, the speedometer suddenly kicks in and indicates the proper speed as if nothing was ever wrong.  This scenario has happened three times in a row since its first occurence, and generally the bike has sat overnight between each ride.  

Has anyone else experienced problems similar to this or have any thoughts on what to look for?  While it’s certainly not the end of the world and the bike is still ride able, I’d sure like to determine what’s causing this erratic behavior and fix it.  Thanks!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have not come across that specifically, but it sounds like a poor connection, maybe in the wiring or a dry joint(solder variety&#33 on the speedo circuit board, which I have found causing similar odd erratic failures on bikes and cars. Try wiggling all the connectors at the sender and speedo ends and gently tapping the speedo. A wet or slightly damp connector is also a possibility.Then if you have no joy, or tapping has some effect, have some good electronics guy look at the speedo internally. Good luck.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Sounds like the speed sensor is no longer working. Saw this same thing happen to a young lady at a track school a few months ago. 929 was only showing 0, or would work for a few laps and go back to zero. The sensor was the cause.

Yours might be loose or not working.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think you're absolutely right 'Asphalt. With the predictabilty of this happening every time after the bike has sat anywhere from 30-minutes to overnight I no longer think it's just a loose connection or corrosion of some sort. I'm going to try and order up a service manual for the bike (I know, I should already have one), and see if there isn't some resistance measurements I can check just to verify before brining it to the Dealer for replacement (warranty). Thankfully, here in MN, it's pretty close to the end of the riding season, so not a bad time to be without the bike if it takes a couple days or so. Thanks to everyone for thier thoughts and comments!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Souns to me like moisture in the connectors/wiring since it starts working after a few miles. The wind or heat from the engine dries it out and it starts working at that point.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My first thought was also of moisture or corrosion on some of the connectors. However, after experiencing the identical issue all last week regardless if I let the cycle sit for 30-minutes or overnight, I’m now leaning towards the speed sensor like others have mentioned. Plus, with the cycle being garaged, I don’t know where continued moisture would be keep coming from if that was the once the bike reached operating temps. Thanks for all the ideas though, as it’s given me some ideas on where to begin looking.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Digger,
Well, as luck would have it, I am experiencing the exact same problem, and it started the exact same time as yours. Weird huh.. I got the bike into the shop today, and they ran some diagnostics on it. My speedo has been off and on at random times for random amounts of time. All we can guess is that there is a short inside the sensor. All the other points of contact metered ok. Voltages and other checks turned out fine. The computer was issuing the correct code for sensor failure according to the tech, and will be cleared as soon as the new one is put in. Luckily, mine did manage to fail at the shop. The sensor is on order and will be covered under my extended warranty. Whew...
Keep us posted.
Fig

·
Registered
803 Posts
Just to keep this up to date. I took the bike in, and the friendly guys over at Kolbe put in the new sensor. They also cleared out the codes from the computer and everything checked out just fine. All covered under warranty. Back in action..
Fig

1 - 13 of 13 Posts