Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 speedometer for my 97 CBR 900rr, but the bike seems to be wired with a "99" model harness. Is there anyway to get the 97 speedometer working on it? If not Does anybody have a 99 Speedometer for sale? Thanx Yall

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
a.B...

Have you checked the For Sale section of this site? Also give eBay a try :thumb:

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I have a 97 speedometer for my 97 CBR 900rr, but the bike seems to be wired with a "99" model harness. Is there anyway to get the 97 speedometer working on it? If not Does anybody have a 99 Speedometer for sale? Thanx Yall
Are you talking about the whole instrument cluster or just the speedo?
What makes you think the speedo is not compatible with the harness?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well the harness had a busted 99 speedo attatched to it, and the connections on the 97 speedo has 2 seperate plugs, where the busted speedo had only a slot to be plugged in. im thinking about splicing the wire coating and attatching the working speedo like that. Is that a good idea?

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
well the harness had a busted 99 speedo attatched to it, and the connections on the 97 speedo has 2 seperate plugs, where the busted speedo had only a slot to be plugged in. im thinking about splicing the wire coating and attatching the working speedo like that. Is that a good idea?
If it had a '99 instrument cluster then it probably has had the harness replaced.
Splicing it in would be fine but wouldn't you still need to get a harness to cut the connectors off to be able to attach the instrument cluster?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking about splicing the wires on both the harness and the wires on the speedo toconnect them. no plugs. straight connections

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I was thinking about splicing the wires on both the harness and the wires on the speedo toconnect them. no plugs. straight connections
I was assuming it was like the 929-onwards with plugs straight into the back of the cluster. If it has wiring then I'd guess splicing it is possible. If you use tap splice clips you won't have to cut any of the wiring.

Found some online in case you aren't familiar with them.

Blue Insulated Tap Splice Terminals (Pkt 25) - eBay, Wholesale, Bulk Lots, Electronics. (end time 08-Dec-09 11:06:41 AEDST)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts