Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the defintions of understeer and oversteer? I thought I had an understanding, but after reading a car review recently, I'm now not so sure. Or maybe the motojournalist was just an idiot. :idunno:

TIA,

Pete

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
The way I understand it is if you have understeer it means that you need "excessive" input to get the vehicle through a turn. Oversteer is basically the exact opposite as in it is very touchy, and easy to get the car to over steer.

:twocents:

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
understeer = front pushes in a corner, ie, front sliding marginally before rear at traction limit

oversteer = rear drifts to the outside in a corner.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So if I am going to get involved in drifting... :rotfl:

Thanks fellas, especially dB! :thumb:

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
"'Splain somethin' to me please"

Why waste our time?

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Oh thtop it.

Seriously, cc described it as I would (talking about slip angles isn't practical for the average joe IMO), and I'm bored on a conference call so....

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
luvtolean said:
Oh thtop it.

Seriously, cc described it as I would (talking about slip angles isn't practical for the average joe IMO), and I'm bored on a conference call so....
LOL!

Yeah, with a combination of his explanation and parts of dB's article, I'm enlightened. It's basically the same way I was thinking. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Old Mustangs have undeersteer built in, the front tires turn but you still go straight. I modded my old stang with autocross stuff and it cornered like the devil..... On one wet day it oversteered whiping the rear end around into a center island. Cost me a wheel bearing on my 9inch. I hated working with those rear disc brakes.

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Tombstone said:
Old Mustangs have undeersteer built in, the front tires turn but you still go straight. I modded my old stang with autocross stuff and it cornered like the devil..... On one wet day it oversteered whiping the rear end around into a center island. Cost me a wheel bearing on my 9inch. I hated working with those rear disc brakes.

Yup they sure do...mine went like a raped ape in a straight line, but as soon as you tried to turn....well hold on cause it's an interesting lesson is steering wheel management.

Dano

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
dB said:
Most production cars are biased toward understeer.
Yep, too much understeer makes you run wide, too much oversteer and you're in the trees! :rotfl:

Having said that, I can say without a doubt, an Acura RSX Type S, despite being front drive, will oversteer on most corners, just every so slightly! :smilebig:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts