Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth the $2+ per issue or is it just regurgitated crap from Motorcyclist it's sister rag?  Your input is appreciated.

J

·
Registered
525 Posts
Sport rider is a really good mag. It's my favorite of all the moto mags that I get. Mainly because I don't really like any bikes besides sport bikes but also because they have good comparison's between bikes. Liter and middle weight shootouts are worth the price of the $12.95 for 1 year subscription alone.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Sport Rider is the best of the US rags. Usually Motorcyclist and Cycle World have the same info in them, but they are just blurbs. I prefer the rag that specializes in sport bikes.

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
With that caveat -that sportbikes are the only sort of motorcycle you're into- it's a good magazine. If that's not the case, Motorcyclist or Cycle World are better choices.

Do yourself a favor and buy a copy of BIKE from the UK. It makes pretty much every American moto-rag pale in comparison.

And for the record, I subscribe to every one of the magazines I've named above. Call me enthusiastic.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
It's good, been a subscriber for years. Kent Kunigutsu used to race, and is still damn fast and one of the fastest journalists around. I got to meet him and Andrew Trevitt @ Laguna last year. Trevitt is still one of the nicest guys I ever met.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Cycle World sucks! I was promised a Cycle World duffel bag with my subscription renewal. I never got it. I emailed them, oh we're sorry..... We will send it right out. Yeah right. Needless to say I will not be renewing this year. Not only that but the mag itself is not very good. Sport Rider is much better.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've also got an SR subscription, and rate it as one of the best if not the best sport bike mags - especially for its technical articles and the fact that it's a little more serious minded than the UK mags.
They tend to have slightly purist views on bikes which I don't always agree with, but I can see where they are coming from and unlike most of the mags they write from genuine experience and deliver solid and largely independent information.
I'd a few problems in the past with subs but contacted one of their writers directly and was pleased they acted to sort it out immediately. I believe they have a new distributor now.
All in all I'd say go, their sub deals are great.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Of all the mags I subscribe to:
CW, Motorcylist, SR and some others. SR is my second favorite. Great mag! Yeah 6 a year sucks but they are good issues

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
I too subscribe to SR and find it to be among the best - definitely the best US bike mag for the sportbike enthusiast. You'll definitely find some regurgitation if you buy both Motorcyclist and SR, so you don't need both.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have gotten SR, CW, and Motorcyclist for the past 5 or 6 years now and have gotten tired of most of them. I have decided not to renew the CW and Motorcyclist subs but am planning on keeping SR. SR has some excellent how-to articules (syncing carbs, shimming suspension, checking valves, etc). Plus they have some really good shootouts (exhaust, tires). Their bike reviews are pretty good. The only complaint is that they dumb down some of the suspension information when I wish they would take that in a more technical route as well.

BTW, if you pick up an issue then don't take it to work. A friend of mine gave me an issue to check out and I had it at work. I just flipped the thing open to the middle and *immediately* found one of several pages with photos of topless women. I wasn't arguing too much, but I about crapped because I was at work (that is instant termination material at my workplace).

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
lfg929 : BTW, if you pick up an issue then don't take it to work. A friend of mine gave me an issue to check out and I had it at work. I just flipped the thing open to the middle and *immediately* found one of several pages with photos of topless women.
In Sport Rider? I've seen that in the Euro mags for sure, but I can't recall seeing topless women in Sport Rider before.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts