Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What’s everyone’s thoughts on putting these type tyres on your fireblade. I’ve went through the original rear S21 and now the S22 has squared off already. I’m not a fast road rider or looking to get the knee down but like the occasional spirited blast when the weather is warm enough. Will a ST tyre offer the same or even more grip for the weekend blast ? Any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
How many miles are you expecting to get from a tyre on a Fireblade??

If an ST tyre is going to last longer it almost certainly has to offer less grip to last longer because it has to be harder in the first place. You might not notice that last 10% grip from am SS tyre, until you need it and the tyres are the only thing keeping you on the road so for the sake of a few extra miles from an ST I, personally, would pay for the grippier S22.

I've S22 f/r and been to south of France and back, round the Pyrenees and Andorra and there is hardly a bit of ware, and we were not hanging about My 1000rr had an S21 on the rear and from the manufacture date it was not the original, so the previous owners had got through at least 1 rear and the 2nd was gone within 5,800 miles, so just 2,900 each on average, but I reckon the S22 will out last both an S20 or S21 and even Bridgestone themselves reckon there is more grip (in the the wet and dry) from an S22 without compromising wear, and I would agree thus far.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for reply. I’m just over 4000 miles on the bike and this is 2nd tyre with the s22. It’s a great tyre but I feel that I’m wearing and squaring off the middle a lot sooner than I would like. I have recently stuck to the manufactures recommended PSI also.

Like I said I’m not doing crazy lean angles but would like the same confidence with a quality ST tyre while still doing a spirited ride.
I went to a 180 55 second time round but thinking I might go back to the 190 55 instead of the 50.

Would a ST tyre perform better on a cold day than a hyper sport tyre?

·
Registered
487 Posts
companies have done impressive things with their tires lately. you can get one that has a higher silica compound in the center band to prevent it from squaring off but still has grip on the sides for cornering.

do you take curves with a knee down? i'm not sure how much the average rider would be pushing the tire grip if they're not pressing hard into corners. sure, it'd be nice to have the opportunity to do that when the feeling strikes, but if that's not the way you ride the blade, the difference in grip shouldn't be a problem.

on a related note, i saw ari henning and zach courts take the goldwing and bmw wannabe around laguna seca on ST tires. they seemed to do pretty good on them.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Thanks for reply. I’m just over 4000 miles on the bike and this is 2nd tyre with the s22. It’s a great tyre but I feel that I’m wearing and squaring off the middle a lot sooner than I would like. I have recently stuck to the manufactures recommended PSI also.

Like I said I’m not doing crazy lean angles but would like the same confidence with a quality ST tyre while still doing a spirited ride.
I went to a 180 55 second time round but thinking I might go back to the 190 55 instead of the 50.

Would a ST tyre perform better on a cold day than a hyper sport tyre?
if, as you say, you are not a fast road rider and get through tyres that quick I would check if the suspension is set to standard - too hard and the rear will skip and spin and muller the tyre. if it is standard it might still be wrong for your weight and riding style so might then be worth having it set up by a suspension shop and not only will it improve the tyre wear but make the bike nicer to ride and safer to boot!

in reference to your last question, I doubt a ST would be better in the cold but it very much depends on what you call cold. Some rubber will be noticeably worse in the cold, the same as car tyres - for example all season or summer car tyres preform much worse below around 7c, which is one reason for having winter tyres for cars. I very much expect similar thing with bike tyres but don't know for certain...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts