Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's that time to get new tires here. I hate those damned Pilot Sports and am looking for much better grip. It's currently a toss up between Sportecs, Diablos, or BT-012's. Any preferences, advantages, disadvantages of any of these tires? I've been hearing good things about the Diablos- especially interested in info about those. As for my riding style- in town for about about 70-80% of the time, aggressive backroads riding and I will be doing a couple of track days here. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Get the diablo's and enjoying your riding and improving your skills...

Truth be known, once the P Sports get hot, they are amongst the best, they are just 'michelin temperamental'... The BTs are good tires, but I've since fell in love with the sportecs and the diablos are a whole generation better...

Do a search, this is a commonly asked question, but thats my $.02.

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
Yup, Sportecs are great, but I really like the Diablo Corsas.
Pirelli has 2 new ones...the Diablo and the Diablo Corsas. The Diablos are a street sport tire, good for the occasional track day, and are cheaper. The Diablo Corsa's intended use is 70% track, 30% street. If you intend on doing a lot of track days, get the Diablo Corsas. If you're doing mostly street riding with maybe a trackday or two, get the Diablos.
You can't go wrong with either of the Pirellis or the Metzeler Sportecs.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know that this was a commonly asked question, and was going to do a search, but with the new board and all I figured I wouldn't find much.

Keep the info coming!

·
Registered
33 Posts
As far as I know the Metzeler Sportec M1 and the Pirelli Diablo is the same tyre, just with different thread pattern. (In the same way as the Supercorsas and Rennsports, which both are made at the same factory in Germany)

I have been using the BT-012SS since last year and have gone through 4-5 sets without any problems. I think it is a great street tyre that also can be used an an occational track day. The only negative I have heard of them is that 2 of my riding buddies have lost the front and low-sided. This I believe have also been commented on in the press. On the other hand they got a very good review in the last Superbike magazine.

Thsi year I have swtched to Diablos for street riding, but can't give much feedback on them apart from that they feel really nice for street riding. Haven't taken them to a track day yet..

For track riding my personal favorites are the Supercorsas/Rennsports in SC1/RS1 front and SC2/RS2 rear (190/55 works really well on the 954).

·
Registered
684 Posts
Question! I am looking at getting tires for my 954 in the near future. I am going with Pirelli's. My Michelin Pilot sport lasted 3500 miles. I am not hard on tires. I have done four short burn outs with them. That is the God's honest truth. While I am not hard on them(my opinion maybe), I do ride my bike. My question is this. I would like to know the main difference between the Diablo's and the Diablo Corsa's. I most likely will not do any track days. Has any one gone through any of these tires? How long did they last? Please do not me to bad on the burnouts, we all do them every once in a while.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Bridgestone BT010s, very good mileage and very good price. About $200 for a set from several places.

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Been doing a little reading on the Pirellis and it looks like the Diablo Corsas are a dual compound tire (softer edges, harder center) whereas the Diablos are harder compound throughout.  The Diablos are comparable to the Sportecs whereas the Diablo Corsas are more of a combination of the Sportec and Rennsports...excellent for track days yet still has enough grip for wet riding.

edit:  oops...looks like HG2 already said that!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I haven't felt the front slip yet I run Diablo corsa front and Regular rear. Although at the last buttonwillow trackday, I felt the rear starting to slid. But for street riding that combo rocks. Plus the tire didn't have any signs of cold tearing, and wear was minimal.

·
Premium Member
6,731 Posts
Bigtoe : Question!  I am looking at getting tires for my 954 in the near future.  I am going with Pirelli's.  My Michelin Pilot sport lasted 3500 miles.  I am not hard on tires.  I have done four short burn outs with them.  That is the God's honest truth.  While I am not hard on them(my opinion maybe), I do ride my bike.  My question is this.  I would like to know the main difference between the Diablo's and the Diablo Corsa's.  I most likely will not do any track days.  Has any one gone through any of these tires?  How long did they last?  Please do not   me to bad on the burnouts, we all do them every once in a while.
Check out Pirelli Diablo.  They compare the Diablo and the Diablo Corsa.  My understanding is that the Diablo is a sport street tire, also good for the occasional track day.  The Diablo Corsa is for 70% track, 30% street use.  The Diablo is cheaper than the Diablo Corsa.  If you're not going to do track days, I'd go with the Diablo.  I've heard they wear very well, but this is my first set, so I don't know yet.

Edit: oops, yeah I just said it again. See my above post too.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Thanks for the responses. I am going to go with the Diablo's when the rear gets worse(almost to the wear bars). Now I just hope my dealer will give me internet prices. They charge more for mounting and balancing if I bring in my own tires.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts