Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious how many of you out there are like me, who have an S.O. who is less than supportive of your biking hobby. I know there are alot of supportive spouses (it's been discussed a time or two in old threads), but how about hearing from other sacks like me with NON-supportive wives?

I'm thinking about organizing a support group.

PS - For the record, a great girl, just not thrilled to death with my passion for fast bikes. Any bikes for that matter.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
It's not your bike she doesn't like, it's that your a cop. Or the fact that you make comments about men.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
pick up a bad habit - like prostitutes, then she will love your biking preferences

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
My SO could really give a sh#t less. I guess she realizes that I've had bikes for 33 years before we met (7 years ago) so she doesn't give me any crap at all, and fortunately doesn't have any desire to ride pillion. That's good for me 'cause I hate riding 2-up. Hmm, she [/I]does always tell me to ride safely when I take off, so I guess that's support.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Chain : Quote (smkeatr @ Aug. 03 2003, 8:49pm)It's not your bike she doesn't like, it's that your a cop.
She's a cop too.

...and lmao @ bubba!
2 peas in a pod then, I stand corrected, please forgive my FD ignorance.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Chain : All is forgiven. Hosedragger.  
Gotta watch those Freudiam slips Chain...

...who else would know that his hose is long enough to drag

·
Registered
8,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No no, you gotta understand bro. It's simply a good natured public safety jab from the cop to the fireman.

Call him a 'basement saver' and see what he says.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I get accused daily of spending all my time riding, reading about riding, or posting about riding. As a matter of fact, I'm posting about riding right now. She likes motorcycles, but her back keeps her from riding with me. I just received clearance from her for a new blade after my son takes his back from me. Wish me luck on finding a new ride.

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
Yeah im in that group. Though the S.O.'s arent the chain-bearing variety though (yet), well on some level - but mine are only the plastic chain like when you are waiting in line for santa, nothing like that gold/diamond stuff.

I deal with it in a few different ways. One gf said I spent too much time with my hobby, and I should consider another one - so I did. I added bar-hopping to my agenda and it filled the night formerly referred to as 'ours' nicely.

It actually helped me to find the next one, who always was supportive of my streetbiking. But for the wrong reasons, she wanted to go to the beach and ####. Well, im not the 'beach type' shall we say (I think of it as a public courtesy thing ) and my prized 929 would have had to been out of my sight for almost the entire time there anyways, so whats the point. That got old quick, but luckily that bar gig has a return policy on anyone you find, whew - lucked out there.

The gf I now have (the one that Conq. is always asking about ) didn't start out a fan of biking - but I applied the Bubba logic, and things haven't been better since, thanks Bubba!

*note: the chick in story #2 didnt actually go to the beach and ####, should have said 'stuff' maybe instead.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I always mention to any girl that I might be interested in or that seems interested in me, my motorcycle hobby. If they don't like it, it's not happening. I'm not going to be a statistic who's girlfriend/wife is always saying 'Why are going riding this weekend? You know I don't like it when you get on that thing. And and and, whine whine whine whine.' If they don't like bikes or least don't mind it, then they're not worth having. If someone cares about you, then they will understand that that is what makes you happy. As long as you ain't doing crack or hookers or hookers on crack, then she should get over it.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
SomeStrangeGuy : Quote (booth23 @ Aug. 03 2003, 8:56pm)Another case of the woman not letting the man be himself and live his life to the fullest.  Exactly why I am NOT married.
...and Texas has restraining orders.

No TX has very controlling women, well they try at least

·
Registered
196 Posts
Hey chain, I'm sure that I've probably mentioned it a time or two, but wanna' make sure you remember that I'm in your club.  We at least can head up the midwest chapter.

My wife definately thinks I spend to much time with the bike.  To appease that, as topic in another thread, some parts of the biking thing take a back seat like a bath after everytime I ride it.  Now, I get home park the bike and head in to her.  You've just had a ride with your mistress, don't do the cuddling after or your just really asking for it.  At least in my household.

My spouse doesn't hate motorcycles.  Yet she doesn't understand the need I have to ride them either.  She does recognize the enjoyment that I get out of doing it though.  It is through that, that she tolerates my passion.  Even when I brake some bones doing it.  Just as my flying career is a part of who I am riding bikes is another part of me that makes the whole me.  She knows that she can't say no more bike riding.  It would be like saying, 'give me your heart your through with it'.  

Just like other hot points in a relationship, there are bad times about it and there are worse times about it.  I just tend to focus on MY times doing it.  

·
Registered
18 Posts
My wife hates motorcycles. She takes a lot of crap from my friends and family about not riding with me. Her typical reply is 'not on that thing'. We have a good relationship and I would love to include her on my rides/trips. I made the effort to accomodate her. On Friday I took out the VTX 1800 and 1300. I set up a time to show up with the wife on Saturday. She absolutely refused to go. I've done all I will.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts