Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I currently have a 2001 929 rr with stock sprockets (16/43)

I wanted to buy a new set of sprockets for the track (down in front, up in rear, but nothing too crazy and was wondering what combo I can get away with without having to redo the links on the chain. Is this possible at all? I'm on the fourth alignment tick mark from the front on my current stock set up

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Hi all,

I currently have a 2001 929 rr with stock sprockets (16/43)

I wanted to buy a new set of sprockets for the track (down in front, up in rear, but nothing too crazy and was wondering what combo I can get away with without having to redo the links on the chain. Is this possible at all? I'm on the fourth alignment tick mark from the front on my current stock set up

15/45 should work with the stock chain length.
How fast is the maximum speed of the tracks you intend to ride?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
15/45 should work with the stock chain length.
How fast is the maximum speed of the tracks you intend to ride?
The comfortable and more experienced riders on that track can hit 135mph+ easily, but I'm no where near that skill level. I'll probably hit a top of 100 and thats a generous estimate. I don't want to alter the final drive too much though. If +1/-1 works with the stock chain, I'd be more willing to go with that

Also whats a recommended brand for a 530 45 rear?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
The comfortable and more experienced riders on that track can hit 135mph+ easily, but I'm no where near that skill level. I'll probably hit a top of 100 and thats a generous estimate. I don't want to alter the final drive too much though. If +1/-1 works with the stock chain, I'd be more willing to go with that

Also whats a recommended brand for a 530 45 rear?

Okay, the -1/+2 would still be fine for 135mph easy.
Assuming you mean -1 front/+1 rear then yes, the chain will be fine.
Keep in mind that your speedo will read high and you will use more fuel, but you'll be having more fun.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Does that also go for a 97 fireblade? Or does it read off the front wheel?
Yep, '97 reads speed from the countershaft. I think '94 was the last 900RR with front wheel speedo.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So just a quick update. I installed the new sprocket set

15 in front (JT Sprocket)
44 in rear (Renthal)

It isn't a crazy, over the top difference where breathing on the throttle brings the front end shooting up, but it's definitely a distinct change. Under hard acceleration, I do actually have to fight a bit to keep the front end down and stable (grateful I have a damper on). I tried to keep it as conservative as I could with this change so I wouldnt sacrifice economy or top end too much (but then again, I can always switch it back as it isn't too hard of a job to do)

All in all, I'm pretty satisfied with it. It's quicker off the line and out of corners. Thanks for the info bladeracer

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Why did they stop with the front wheel speedo? Is it worse, because of occasional wheelies?
Cost, weight, reliability, maintenance requirement, etc.
Electronic is just better in every way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts