Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to replace the sprocket and chain on my 2001 929, went to wemoto and there are several different types any recommendations which one to get? thanks

TRANSMISSION - CHAIN AND SPROCKET KITS
Picture of DID VX Heavy Duty X-Ring Chain and JT Sprocket KitDID VX Heavy Duty X-Ring Chain and JT Sprocket Kit
£109.58
Picture of DID VX Heavy Duty X-Ring Gold and Black Chain and Afam Sprocket KitDID VX Heavy Duty X-Ring Gold and Black Chain and Afam Sprocket Kit
£137.80
Picture of DID VX Heavy Duty X-Ring Gold and Black Chain and JT Sprocket KitDID VX Heavy Duty X-Ring Gold and Black Chain and JT Sprocket Kit
£114.58
Picture of DID ZVM-X Super Heavy Duty X-Ring Chain and JT Sprocket KitDID ZVM-X Super Heavy Duty X-Ring Chain and JT Sprocket Kit
£145.05
Picture of DID ZVM-X Super Heavy Duty X-Ring Gold Chain and Afam Sprocket KitDID ZVM-X Super Heavy Duty X-Ring Gold Chain and Afam Sprocket Kit
£178.76
Picture of DID ZVM-X Super Heavy Duty X-Ring Gold Chain and JT Sprocket KitDID ZVM-X Super Heavy Duty X-Ring Gold Chain and JT Sprocket Kit
£155.54
Picture of Swift Super Heavy Duty Black/Silver X-Ring Chain and JT Sprocket KitSwift Super Heavy Duty Black/Silver X-Ring Chain and JT Sprocket Kit
£92.30

·
Registered
170 Posts
I’m going with a vortex 520 -1 +2 this time around. The 1/3 ratio is supposed to make the 929 a monster and the 520 chain is significantly lighter with only a small percentage loss in tensile strength. You should be fine going with any did chain though. They are well known as being top of the line chains.

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,655 Posts
I went with eBay purchased DID ERV3 520 gold racing chain for like $140, then got separate JT Sprockets (steel front, aluminum rear) for another like $50 on my track 900.

I put the same set up on my 93 street bike last spring as well. Lovely set up.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
i dont really know the options you have over there as far as suppliers, but in my experience so far, the ek 3d chain has been far and away the best one ive used.

of those options listed i would probably buy the 155 option. jt is a world class sprocket and its my advice to get a gold chain over the alternative. the gold chains have a much higher resistance to corrosion/rust. i do chain maintenance regularly. a couple chains ago i bought a non gold chain and despite my schedule, the non gold was an obvious disadvantage.

with most chains today, the 520 pitch is more than strong enough to handle the 929's power output. going down to a 520 is a nice little boost i could feel on my 954. i suppose less material ultimately means faster wear, but dont be concerned about strength. these new 520 chains are a lot stronger than the 530 chains that were available when the 929 was fresh on the market.

to be more thorough, i use the 520 ek 3d chain and driven front and rear sprockets, steel up front (-1) and aluminum in the rear(oem tooth count)
this has been without a doubt the best wearing chain ive ever bought for a bike.

did, afam, jt are all great though. like i said, just stick with a gold chain if you buy from those options.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts