Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
A while back I e-mailed A-Star product support about my noisy SMX and SMX+ boots. Here's their reply:

Dear Robb,
Thank you for contacting Alpinestars.
The reason for the squeaking is at the rounded ankle plastic which covers the ankle bone sometimes it is so smooth that it rubs together with the plastic underneath and causes it to squeak. A quick solution to the problem is to use sand paper to roughen the surface between the rounded ankle plastic and the plastic directly underneath. Simply lift the ankle plastic up a little and sand down the plastic. The rough surface when it rubs together from walking will not squeak.

Try this tip and if we can be of further assistance please feel free to contact us.

Kind regards,

Karen Macdonald
Product Support

Alpinestars Inc.
Torrance, (CA) USA
Ph: (800) 727-8277
Fax. (310) 891-0299
Email:p[email protected]
www.alpinestars.com

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
CanyonCarver said:
A while back I e-mailed A-Star product support about my noisy SMX and SMX+ boots. Here's their reply:
Well, did you try it?

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
anything that will not "attack" or breakdown the plastics should work. how about the little bottles of lube that come with ARAI helmets for the shield mechanisms?

ps. I think astroglide is water based and therefore probably not a good idea.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Personally I like my squeeks. I enjoy standing about talking with some fellows and doing prolonged squeeks. Sometimes fast bursting squeeks are fun. This provides me with entertainment during slow conversation...untill I get punched from one those fellows and verbally berated. They just don't understand the joy of a good squeek...yet.

I can only dream of the day when myself and some fellow squeekers can mull about and all squeek together. Preferably a nice quite place with many people to enjoy our squeeks with us. Maybe a movie theater.

·
Registered
755 Posts
My oxtars were horrible when I first got them,tried the lube they came with,didn't work.I wore them everyday commuting and they broke in pretty quickly.I like the alpinestars idea about sanding the smooth area.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Pete said:
Well, did you try it?
Nope, not yet. Too busy/lazy/tired/don't care THAT much. I asked A-Star mostly because of a discussion about the cause amongst myself and some friends. It really doesn't bother me that much. I don't embarrass easily, so squeaking through a restaurant is no issue. People are usually too busy looking at my rashed-up leathers (that are soon to be replaced :evilaugh: ) to notice the noise. :rotfl:

I might get the ambition to do it this weekend, though, now that this topic has come up again. Now I'm curious to see if it really fixes the problem. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
CanyonCarver said:
Nope, not yet. Too busy/lazy/tired/don't care THAT much.
heh... too lazy to sandpaper but have lots of time to e-mail and complain about squeaky boots??
:hmm:

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
nomad said:
heh... too lazy to sandpaper but have lots of time to e-mail and complain about squeaky boots??
This by the author of "How to Win Friends and Influence People" :D

I know, I have a lot of room to talk :rolleyes:

·
Registered
280 Posts
nomad said:
Who's complaining? Not me. Just asked A-Star what's the cause and how to fix. Like I said, it doesn't bother me much.

Besides, if we're going to talk about lots of time, it doesn't take long to send a short e-mail to A-Star to ask a simple question. However, speaking of lots of time: Hmmm... I have 137 posts, you have 1142. Seems like you may have a little more time on your hands than I do. Could be because I've ridden every weekend except 3 in the last 4 months. BTW, how's the weather up there? :poke: :cheers:

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Bacchus said:
This by the author of "How to Win Friends and Influence People" :D

I know, I have a lot of room to talk :rolleyes:
huh?

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
CanyonCarver said:
Who's complaining? Not me. Just asked A-Star what's the cause and how to fix. Like I said, it doesn't bother me much.

Besides, if we're going to talk about lots of time, it doesn't take long to send a short e-mail to A-Star to ask a simple question. However, speaking of lots of time: Hmmm... I have 137 posts, you have 1142. Seems like you may have a little more time on your hands than I do. Could be because I've ridden every weekend except 3 in the last 4 months. BTW, how's the weather up there? :poke: :cheers:
hahah... (I hope you took my post in jest)

As for 1143 posts... Winter gives me LOTS of time on my hands. Not to mention when work is slow I'm constantly online.

*ARG* you've been riding all feb and march??? In my best South Park voice... "YOU BASTARD!" haha...

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
oh. I just didn't get the joke. uh... ha ha funny?

:p

I wasn't trying to pick on him, just thought it was funny he could write an e-mail but not scratch up the boots. :D *sheeesh* (Like when I was in university and we'd call up one of friends everytime we needed the time 'cause the phone was closer than going in the other room to check the clock.)

·
Registered
280 Posts
nomad said:
hahah... (I hope you took my post in jest)

As for 1143 posts... Winter gives me LOTS of time on my hands. Not to mention when work is slow I'm constantly online.

*ARG* you've been riding all feb and march??? In my best South Park voice... "YOU BASTARD!" haha...
No problemo, nomad. :rotfl: All in good fun. Well, you shamed me into actually trying the sandpaper yesterday before heading out for a ride. No joy. It may have reduced the noise somewhat, but they still squeak. Oh well.

Oh, and yes, I've been riding all December, January, February & March. :eyebrows: I love Southern California!! :cool:

And Bacchus: thanks for running to my rescue. I'm getting a little misty here, feelin' the love. :D

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I've got the Oxtars and I tried a few things on it (like silly cone and bel ray chain lube) and something worked because mine don't squeak anymore...just can't remember what it was...does that help?

·
Registered
11 Posts
My Oxtars are very squeaky, I love them. My g/f's boots are the same. you can hear us squeaking in quiet woods too ;-) squeak squeak

21 - 40 of 87 Posts