Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

On my third Fireblade 954>100RR (2011 stolen)> 954.

Had the current 954 for two years, today on a commute to work, stalled the bike and then it wouldn't start. After nearly an hour it did start and managed to ride to work.

My first blade had this problem twice. Weather conditions here in the UK were a bit damp. From searching forums and my own history I thought this was the rectifier. But reading around believe this could be the fuel line is touching something hot or the fuel pump itself. The bike is now 11 years old.

Where I have moved to it is something I need to rely on and the fact I've had the same problem on two different bikes concerns me. I've had Yamaha and Suzuki before, but I can't get the time to tear the bike to bits and I no longer have a garage.

Any thoughts on what this is? I'm contemplating upgrading back to a 2010 blade depending on insurance, but the power is really too much for road use. So also thinking about a GSXR750, point is both bikes are much newer and won't have much niggles. Don't get me wrong, for comfort and power balance, the 954 is probably one of the best of all time, but I need reliability.... And this is a Honda!

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Hi all,

On my third Fireblade 954>100RR (2011 stolen)> 954.

Had the current 954 for two years, today on a commute to work, stalled the bike and then it wouldn't start. After nearly an hour it did start and managed to ride to work.

My first blade had this problem twice. Weather conditions here in the UK were a bit damp. From searching forums and my own history I thought this was the rectifier. But reading around believe this could be the fuel line is touching something hot or the fuel pump itself. The bike is now 11 years old.

Where I have moved to it is something I need to rely on and the fact I've had the same problem on two different bikes concerns me. I've had Yamaha and Suzuki before, but I can't get the time to tear the bike to bits and I no longer have a garage.

Any thoughts on what this is? I'm contemplating upgrading back to a 2010 blade depending on insurance, but the power is really too much for road use. So also thinking about a GSXR750, point is both bikes are much newer and won't have much niggles. Don't get me wrong, for comfort and power balance, the 954 is probably one of the best of all time, but I need reliability.... And this is a Honda!

Anything done to the bike before today - maintenance, falling over, sitting?
What exactly is the bike doing when it "won't start"?
Have you checked the fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose is dry?
Have you checked the charging system?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Blade,

I've been running the bike for about 3 weeks after sitting. When I say won't start, it will turn over but not spark. As time progresses, it makes more off an effort to start and after about an hour will go.

Not seen where the vacuum hose is, that is new to me, will have a google if it isn't close to hand for you. Charging system I changed on the first blade, stator had gone. But surely if it was that, the bike wouldn't start after time?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Hi Blade,

I've been running the bike for about 3 weeks after sitting. When I say won't start, it will turn over but not spark. As time progresses, it makes more off an effort to start and after about an hour will go.

Not seen where the vacuum hose is, that is new to me, will have a google if it isn't close to hand for you. Charging system I changed on the first blade, stator had gone. But surely if it was that, the bike wouldn't start after time?

The stator might be on its last legs though - do the tests.
Charging system failures are certainly the most common Honda failure so it's always worth checking it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts