Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking at getting either a 929 or 954 soon and ive seen totally standard lowish mileage examples and also higher mileage bikes but with new pipes, power commander, steering damper etc. my riding is brisk but not daft and i'm 60, so comfort is important. what would be the general recommendation from you guys? just throwing it out there...

·
Premium Member
2,017 Posts
My first impression is to go standard all the way. But with qualification, if an excellent condition and mileage bike had 'discrete' mods as you mention, I'd choose condition over all else. For me, the proof is in the pudding!:)

·
Registered
218 Posts
i'm looking at getting either a 929 or 954 soon and ive seen totally standard lowish mileage examples and also higher mileage bikes but with new pipes, power commander, steering damper etc. my riding is brisk but not daft and i'm 60, so comfort is important. what would be the general recommendation from you guys? just throwing it out there...
I have owned both 929 and have now an 954. For more comfort i say 929 since the 954 have a little bit more aggresive sitting position then a 929.

Reactions: MrPickwick

·
Registered
26 Posts
All these Blades are quite roomy compared with modern Blades, so unless your Robert Wadlow or riddled with arthritis it’s unlikely you’ll feel cramped.

As for the main question, only you can answer what your buying it for....longterm ownership? sunny day rider? concours originality ? etc etc
Obviously 1 owner bikes are great for the history etc, but don’t be put off by multiple owners, back in the 80s/90s I’d change a bike yearly as it was so cheap to do so.

For me when dealing with bikes around the 20 year mark, condition is important, history’s nice but not the be all and end all, and most likely if the bikes been in use, then expect modern upgrades like hoses, cans etc etc. Cans, steering dampers, upgraded shocks and forks are common additions.

Always wary when a bike is dripping in frame protectors, stickers etc, not always but potentially hiding something, there’s easy ways to check the originality of the panels, check the DVLA MOT website, make sure the numbers add up against the story your being given, but at the same time don’t be put off if you get gaps in history, as it’s common a MOT expires and for many reasons the owner doesn’t renew, done it myself many times, I always HPI check the bikes, can save a lot of pain down the road.(no pun intended ;))

Theres plenty to be found, patience is your friend, do your research as it appears you not owned one before, learn as much as you can about the models, view several and get used to what they sound like on cold start up and warm running, never trust one that’s been ‘warmed up’ for you, they are hiding something, and lastly do not believe the constant BS of ‘future classic & prices are only going up’, it’s a Blade, they made thousands we‘ll all be dead before their that rare.

·
Premium Member
2,017 Posts
. . . and lastly do not believe the constant BS of ‘future classic & prices are only going up’, it’s a Blade, they made thousands we‘ll all be dead before their that rare.
I always have a laugh at that increasingly common 'incentive'.

Firstly, we cannot generally predict future classics. And secondly, all prices are going up. Bikes are not outperforming CPI increases, so they're generally merely in line with inflation. Add in insurance, servicing. MoTs etc, and our 'classics' are merely an expensive hobby.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Actually, the 954 is more of comfort than the 929, due to a slightly less crouched sitting position.
Look at the comparison

·
Registered
218 Posts
Actually, the 954 is more of comfort than the 929, due to a slightly less crouched sitting position.
Look at the comparison

View attachment 108636

My feeling after having both is different to what this picture says. Maybe because i am over 180 cm it can feel like that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I bought my 929 with less than 6k miles on it last November. It has the power commander V, steering dampener, and a few other things that are nice to have. But I would say the number one upgrade on this bike is the seat. The Corbin seat adds a whole new comfort level to this bike. I'm 51 years old, and I can ride this all day, and I never feel any discomfort in my butt or legs. All my discomfort is in my hands, as they'll start to cramp up during long rides.

They're not cheap, but worth every penny.
Corbin Seat for CBR929

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
had a little spin on a 929 a few days ago and still undecided. i hate my cbr600f4i as its so revvy (after a firestorm). but although the 929 is superfast, it still feels as if it needs winding up from low revs. the only positive is that its a damn sight more comfortable than a storm.... Oh, what to do??

·
Premium Member
2,017 Posts
You have a real conundrum.

In my view, you just can't compare a 929 and Storm side by side and like for like. It would be like comparing Oprah Winfrey to Ellen de Generes - two totally different classes.

I ride a Storm as a 'knockabout' bike, so fully understand your situation. It truly is a matter of adapting to each and treating each with their own special characters. One solution for the 929 if you want more 'low down' is to drop the gearing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts