Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Can some please tell me why there is more play in some bikes when the bike is rocked back and forth whilst switched off and in 1st gear.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Hi
Can some please tell me why there is more play in some bikes when the bike is rocked back and forth whilst switched off and in 1st gear.

I think you're referring to the play in the chain and cushdrive?
Could be any number of reasons but most likely different cushdrive designs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks BladeRacer. I compaired the freeplay between 2 identical 2008 Fireblades. The play was very different. What could be worn in the one with the bigger free play?
Ther eis also a chopping feel when rolling the throttle on and off when riding very slow.
could this be the same thing?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Thanks BladeRacer. I compaired the freeplay between 2 identical 2008 Fireblades. The play was very different. What could be worn in the one with the bigger free play?
Ther eis also a chopping feel when rolling the throttle on and off when riding very slow.
could this be the same thing?

Probably just different chain adjustment.
The chopping is normal, sports bikes aren't designed to be ridden at very low rpm. A worn chain would exacerbate it though.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Thanx Guys- It looks like I have to start by replacing the chain and sprockets then.

No, you would start by adjusting the chain.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
If the tension is correct, would I then move to replace?

If the chain or sprockets are worn then you would replace them.
It'd be unlikely on a US '08 bike though.
Be sure to adjust the chain tension at the tightest part of the chain, otherwise it'll be too tight.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Im not blade racer but id say yes..A good way to check if the chain is stretched is to first adjust the chain tension, then grab the chain where its a its furthest point away from the bike, on the sprocket and check u cant pull it more than a few mm from the sprocket..If u can the chain is strectched and will need that and the sprocket changing...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys- Sounds like I've got follow the process of illimination. at least I know where to start. The free play is driving me crazy. My friends blade has non of this.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Its also worth noting, that if u ride often with a pillion, then set the chain slightly looser, as the extra weight causes the chain to tighten. The last thing u want is to ride with a bow string chain.

·
Registered
180 Posts
It'd be unlikely on a US '08 bike though.
???
If that were my bike it would have ~55,000 miles on it and getting ready for its 3rd chain/sprocket set.
I expect ~20,000 miles from a chain.

Bike mileage and chain wear is highly variable.
If the chain is not cleaned/lubed/adjusted, then it can go bad much sooner than 20K miles. Running a chain without lube is "BAD". It's noisy and wears out fast. Running it w/out lube in wet conditions is even worse.... the chain tends to turn this odd rust color :huh:

One thing I have noticed... the high-quality chains that are maintained don't wear unevenly much; no tight or loose spots.

Another thing - when I have to adjust chain tension every couple thousand miles or less, it is ready for replacement.

One last thing to add - a slightly loose chain is much better than a slightly tight chain.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Bladeracer - The bike has 31 000 miles / 50 000 km on it. Is it time to change the chain yet?
That would certainly be getting close to the life of the original chain, possibly even a second chain if she's been ridden very hard.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
???
If that were my bike it would have ~55,000 miles on it and getting ready for its 3rd chain/sprocket set.
I expect ~20,000 miles from a chain.

Bike mileage and chain wear is highly variable.
If the chain is not cleaned/lubed/adjusted, then it can go bad much sooner than 20K miles. Running a chain without lube is "BAD". It's noisy and wears out fast. Running it w/out lube in wet conditions is even worse.... the chain tends to turn this odd rust color :huh:

One thing I have noticed... the high-quality chains that are maintained don't wear unevenly much; no tight or loose spots.

Another thing - when I have to adjust chain tension every couple thousand miles or less, it is ready for replacement.

Then you're an anomoly, and I wish there were more of you :)
Most US sports bikes seem to be blessed if they even manage a thousand miles a year.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Texas. Much appreciated. It is now 10pm in South Africa and i'll check in again tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts