Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I bought a '93 fireblade last year and have been having a blast running and riding it! I put a new exhaust and battery in it last season, and bypassed the wiring for the bike to never recognize when the kickstand is down. I had to do that because it wasn't let me go into gear, constantly thinking the stand was down. After doing all those things, it was running really well! Towards the end of the season, I noticed that when the gas was getting low, not empty, the bike would chug along, especially noticeable on inclines/declines. Now, I have a hard time keeping the bike started after I kick into gear and use the throttle. I hit the throttle and it chugs one or two feet, then shuts down. I am leaning towards a new fuel pump? Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Eric

·
President: Team Full Chat
7,881 Posts
Hi Eric, very unlikely it’s your fuel pump. Best way to test it is to remove it, plumb the fuel right from the tank to the carbs and test.

I have been one to even delete my fuel pump. I did it on my 93 back in 1994, and run my current 93 without it with NO ISSUES.

Make sure your fuel tap is on reserve when the fuel gets too low, it will certainly chug along if it starts to run dry.

If it starts and runs, but won’t accept throttle then it could be some junk in the carbs clogging the main jet circuit.

Another issue could be the charging system. When the stator and/or reg/rec start to go it wreaks havoc with the entire running of the bike. Check for charred and burned connectors around the regulator, stator connector, and starter solenoid.

Let us know how all those checks go and give us some updates.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts