Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be the best way to start my motorcycle after being parked for two years? I would like to avoid any damage to the motor, so I'm just wondering if I should take any precautions/steps to minimize/avoid anything braking or getting damage. Thanks

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Fresh gas and a good battery. Otherwise just check fluids. Depending on where you stored it, say in a barn, you could have mice in the air box!! ?

·
Registered
82 Posts
As the above have said 2 years isn't a long time however, old fuel can be a nightmare for the carbs.

I would charge/replace the battery, drain the tank and add fresh fuel.

Once running I would get it upto temp, making sure all is well, no fuel leaks and the carbs run smooth. Then I would Drop the fluids, give it a service and enjoy it.

P.s I've just redone mine after 2 years of the road and all was good apart from the forks seals.

·
Premium Member
2,006 Posts
Any person undertaking long-term storage should be using this:
(I did buy a tad too much though :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,006 Posts
How much do you use per tank Nigel?
The rec amount is 10ml per 10 litres, so we're talking 15ml per tank.

Most of my bikes get a run every few months, but only 3 remain continuously registered. It's fair to say that I might not need preservative over only a few months, but I prefer the added protection.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the advise and suggestions. After going thru all the systems (and regular maintenance) I ended up replacing the sprocket, chain, and new tires. Needed a new battery. I did put Sta-bil when I stored it. I did check for mice, luckily didn't find any!!! Just finished cleaning her up (very dusty) Will post pictures tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
If you're REALLY nitpicky (as I am) then if you have a suspicion that the oil pump has drained itself empty (or if you've just overhauled the engine and know it to be empty) then you can minimise the risk of metal to metal contact in the main and big-end and camshaft bearings by removing the oil filter and sending oil under pressure into the central threaded pipe (where the filter screws onto). This will prime the oil pump and send all to all the important bits. It can be easily done by putting a hole in a 5L oil container cap to accept a 1/2" piece of plastic tube as a tight fit, and it has to dip to the bottom of the container. The other end of the plastic pipe goes into the oil filter central pipe IT MUST BE A TIGHT FIT .Then punch a small hole into the shoulder of the container somewhere so you can push an airline nozzle into it. Get the oil warm first, then carefully pressurise the oil container (with oil in it, of course) and keep going until you see oil coming out of the camshaft position sensor hole. Which of course you remove before starting the operation. A big warning here: this is only for grown-ups with common sense. Don't complain to me when you overpressure the container and get a face full of hot oil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts