Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike was low on fuel, and I have been wanting to put some sea foam in it so I got some fuel and put some sea foam in also. I wanted to start the bike to get it running through everything, it started but didn't sound like it was runninig on all cylnders so I shut it off. Now it fires sometimes but doesn't want to start, sounds like a fuel problem, it has always started great. I know nothing about fuel injection, where should I start?

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
Bike was low on fuel, and I have been wanting to put some sea foam in it so I got some fuel and put some sea foam in also. I wanted to start the bike to get it running through everything, it started but didn't sound like it was runninig on all cylnders so I shut it off. Now it fires sometimes but doesn't want to start, sounds like a fuel problem, it has always started great. I know nothing about fuel injection, where should I start?
Have you checked the fuel pressure regulator?
New plugs?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you checked the fuel pressure regulator?
New plugs?
No I haven't checked anything yet, I have new plugs to put in, just have not got to it yet. I can hear the fuel pump coming on, its been sitting in the garage all winter and started 3-4 times. I'm thinking it could have sucked something off the bottom of the tank from being so low on fuel, I don't know, never worked on fuel injection but I can clean a carb, lol. I know, I know need to get a manual but for now could you tell me where the regulator is located? Sheez I feel like a rookie, guess I am, been 17 years since I had a bike and with fuel injection and some of this other tech. there's a lot more to it.:idunno:

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
No I haven't checked anything yet, I have new plugs to put in, just have not got to it yet. I can hear the fuel pump coming on, its been sitting in the garage all winter and started 3-4 times. I'm thinking it could have sucked something off the bottom of the tank from being so low on fuel, I don't know, never worked on fuel injection but I can clean a carb, lol. I know, I know need to get a manual but for now could you tell me where the regulator is located? Sheez I feel like a rookie, guess I am, been 17 years since I had a bike and with fuel injection and some of this other tech. there's a lot more to it.:idunno:
Part #20
http://www.fireblades.org/forums/at...got-929-home-wont-start-929throttlebodies.gif

·
Registered
554 Posts
You didn't go nuts with the Seafoam to fuel ratio did you? I put a lil more than I should've in one and it started up and ran, but didn't run near as good as it should've. Maybe you put too much?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its alive and runs decent eccept for the sputtering, Im leaning toward the pc3 but still not sure. I have a question about the fuel regulator.. do I check the vacuum line when the bike is running or when it is shut off? May be a dumb question but I don't know.

I have noticed when i take off super easy..almost no throttle at all, the bike doesn't really sputter, but if i give it a little more throttle it sputters. This makes me think the pc3 is dumping more fuel than it needs at a fine touch of throttle. Its wierd at 3500-4000 it doesn't sputter and wants to pull good no matter what gear ur in, anybody make sense of this or ideas?

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
Its alive and runs decent eccept for the sputtering, Im leaning toward the pc3 but still not sure. I have a question about the fuel regulator.. do I check the vacuum line when the bike is running or when it is shut off? May be a dumb question but I don't know.

I have noticed when i take off super easy..almost no throttle at all, the bike doesn't really sputter, but if i give it a little more throttle it sputters. This makes me think the pc3 is dumping more fuel than it needs at a fine touch of throttle. Its wierd at 3500-4000 it doesn't sputter and wants to pull good no matter what gear ur in, anybody make sense of this or ideas?

You only need to turn the ignition on so the fuel pump primes. 50psi of pressure will certainly show if the diaphram is torn.
It's normal for the engine to bog down below 4000rpm when you give it a lot of throttle.
Custom mapping can improve it though.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I checked the regulator with the fuel pump on and then with it running to make sure, and it did not leak. Now im looking at the mapping, like i said it runs great when you have the Rs up there. Im not unfamiliar with the way a bike should sound and run when idling and taking off and this one is definately not right. Can anyone point me in the right direction to remap this bike, or should I have someone do it? D&D bolt on and a K&N fiter that was already on it, and of course the pc3.

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
I checked the regulator with the fuel pump on and then with it running to make sure, and it did not leak. Now im looking at the mapping, like i said it runs great when you have the Rs up there. Im not unfamiliar with the way a bike should sound and run when idling and taking off and this one is definately not right. Can anyone point me in the right direction to remap this bike, or should I have someone do it? D&D bolt on and a K&N fiter that was already on it, and of course the pc3.

Save a copy of the current map.
Then tweak some values and test ride the bike.
If it's worse, go the other way.
If it's better, try a bit further.

First though, you need to make sure all the maintenance is up to date or you're simply tuning it to a less-than-optimal condition.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Save a copy of the current map.
Then tweak some values and test ride the bike.
If it's worse, go the other way.
If it's better, try a bit further.

First though, you need to make sure all the maintenance is up to date or you're simply tuning it to a less-than-optimal condition.
I think i have it tuned pretty good, but i will need to get a cable for the pc3. Is there a place I can get one besides a cycle shop, maybe radioshack?

·
Premium Member
32,104 Posts
I think i have it tuned pretty good, but i will need to get a cable for the pc3. Is there a place I can get one besides a cycle shop, maybe radioshack?

If it's a PC3USB it's just a standard USB cable.
If it's a PC2 or PC3r then you either need a serial cable or a USB cable and a USB-to-serial adaptor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.