Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm confused, i don't know a ton about bikes but my 929 is leaking oil from i believe the stator cover. i thought the stator cover housing deals with charging the bike. why would that have oil in there?

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
could be the gasket or the bolts may not be tightened to 'spec - too tight or too lose can both cause issues

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
i'm confused, i don't know a ton about bikes but my 929 is leaking oil from i believe the stator cover. i thought the stator cover housing deals with charging the bike. why would that have oil in there?

It's a wet cover as the rotor also houses the starter clutch.
Very common on the 929/954 to find the cases damaged behind the stator cover from crash damage.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My stator cover leaked oil as well. The bike was wreaked pretty badly. The bottom corner of the crank housing was TIG welded back on. I ran a bead of grey gasket sealer and have not had anymore problems since.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh ok, well my bike was never dropped, i'm the only owner. The cover was never off either. maybe she is just showing her age. i guess i'll pull it off and put a new gasket on there?

·
Registered
927 Posts
I bought my 08 with 3k miles on it and it was leaking just a tad on the right hand side of the stator case where the charge wires come out. I pulled the cover off, cleaned it to a bare metal shine and sealed it with genuine honda liquid gasket. You can trim the excess off for a perfectly clean finish. Cheap fix.

·
Registered
430 Posts
It's definitely a 'wet' area and will drop a small amount of oil when you remove the cover.
Can be a bit awkward when you pull the case off as the magnets are very strong and it will try to snap back so get a good hold and make sure you pull it off square.
There is a small gear in-between the starter motor and main gear that has a loose bush shaft keep an eye out for it being exactly in place as you refit the cover to make sure it's in place (it can drop out of its holder and sit in such a way that looks like it's in place, but it isn't).
At the bottom of the case is a locating hollow pin that is also loose, make sure that's not gone awol when you refit too.

I did think about photos when I did mine yesterday!.. wish I'd took some now.
(I fitted a new gasket and case as the previous owner's spent a little time on his side )

I have taken a pic of the old case as I'm going to chuck it on ebay so I'll put that on in a min and circle where the locating pins are fitted that I'm on about..

Attachments

·
Registered
927 Posts
Just a heads up for people who have never done this. The stator cover will resist coming off because it generates power from pushing magnetic current.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts