Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to start yet another stator thread but this is slightly different. My original stator lasted 35k miles and then burned out. I replaced it and it burned out 2500 miles later. The supplier will replace it FOC but say they no longer supply that stator with a warrenty because they have found out that the magnets in the rotating bit are too strong. This seems odd to me given that the original one lasted so long and magnets (to the best of my knowledge) don't simply get stronger.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Mark

PS. This is on a 2000 929RRY

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
My thoughts are that they have a defective product and do not want to be pulled into an "evergreen" warranty situation. Try asking for ALL of your money back instead, and then put that money towards an OEM replacement.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
My thoughts are that they have a defective product and do not want to be pulled into an "evergreen" warranty situation. Try asking for ALL of your money back instead, and then put that money towards an OEM replacement.
The official online Honda parts suppliers (David Silver) want 200 quid for one but won't have any in stock for 6 weeks and the local dealers want 300 quid for one.

Argh.

Editted to add: I've just spoken to the supplier and they will honour the original warrenty for a year even if the replacment goes which is pretty good I guess and I'll have to go with that. i'm going to replace the reg/rect at the same time and hope for the best. The bike will get retired from general commuter duties pretty soon so the miles I'm piling on it will come to an end so hopefully this one will last.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Hmmm. If I am selecting the right part, Ron Ayers (ronayers.com) who supplies OEM parts, wants less than $75 for one. Unfortunately, I see that they do not do International Shipping. Know anybody stateside for transshipment?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Hmmm...so _they_ make an aftermarket unit that isn't compatible with the OEM rotor they designed it to work with...
I don't see how they can do anything but give a full refund.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm...so _they_ make an aftermarket unit that isn't compatible with the OEM rotor they designed it to work with...
I don't see how they can do anything but give a full refund.
They did offer this but as they're going to support the unit for the whole year and I can't get hold of an oem unit I'll have to go with a replacement... I need the bike back on the road :idunno:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts