Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Every fall I purchase a half of beef from from a local rancher (you cannot begin to imagine the difference in taste from store bought...,) and tonight, I burned my last steak :crying:

As of yesterday, my latest half is "hanging" and I thought I might look for some new grilling ideas.

Please include spices and grilling time/temps where applicable...

Thanks.

J

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Buy a thermometer. When it hits 135º (med rare) you're good to go. :thumb:

Most people wayyyyy overcook meat.

I use all sorts of marinades, but the common element is garlic, and lots of it. :lickout:

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
garlic mmmm. Throw out some suggestions on how you use garlic As an aside I rarely overcook steak I'm kinda particular that way. :smilebig:

I might add that I ordered all prime cuts at 1-1/2 thickness minimum.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
One should never marinate a steak... :sless:

Maybe a flank, or a broil....but never a steak... :nono:

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
Baketech said:
One should never marinate a steak... :sless:

Maybe a flank, or a broil....but never a steak... :nono:
True that... cook on high.. flip once and remove :thumb:

Dont leave it on there till it looks like its done b/c by that point its to late and you have a peice of leather and not a steak. Take the thing off when it looks like its 3/4 where you want it :thumb:

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Filet is nice once in awhile...but a man's steak is a Strip.... :nod:

Methinks this thread has enormous potential to become every bit as incendiary as an oil or damper thread.... ;)

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Baketech said:
Methinks this thread has enormous potential to become every bit as incendiary as an oil or damper thread.... ;)
Methinks the same thing.

The *real* man's steak is the ribeye, and there is NO arguing that point! A dash of salt and black pepper, scorch that baby in a roaring flame for a minute on each side to get it "black and blue"...mmmmmm, lip-smackin' good!

·
Registered
7,724 Posts
Pete said:
Methinks the same thing.

The *real* man's steak is the ribeye, and there is NO arguing that point! A dash of salt and black pepper, scorch that baby in a roaring flame for a minute on each side to get it "black and blue"...mmmmmm, lip-smackin' good!
I have to agree with bake. I'll take a good old strip any day :thumb:

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Pete said:
Methinks the same thing.

I'm going to have to agree with Pete on this one. :nod: The ribeye is the only way to go. Red juicey meat surrounded by just enough fat to make it lipsmacking good. :lickout:

Damn, now I am hungry. There is a place in Forth Worth, Tx that makes a mean steak. It is called Hoffbrau steaks and I think it is located on University near TCU. Great place to go. They also serve bulls chips with this sauce it is great as well. MAn I can't wait to go back there. I think I will be in TX in Nov. Damn I'm hungry.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Pete said:
Methinks the same thing.

Are you from France....?

As everyone knows, woman was made from a rib....so unless you are watching your already tattered copy of "The Crying Game" after dinner, then that leaves the strip as the manly choice.... :flame:

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'm partial to a ribeye with Montreal Steak Seasoning. They make spicey and regular. Tastey stuff IMO. I usually get high heat, 1.5" thick, liberal coating of the seasoning on the top side. Cook for 2min-45degree turn 3 more minutes then flip(seasoned side down). Cook until the meat is as tender to the touch as your palm below your thumb (nice and soft) then pull and serve.

Garlic
Create small pockets(no more than 3/4 the thickness of the steak) in the meat with a paring knife equally spaced around the meat surface.(2-3" apart). Peel a clove of garlic and slice into small enough pieces so they can be placed into the pockets. Little Seasoned salt and cooked as previously stated.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
OK this is not a steak recipe but it is cow.

Take a Sirloin Tip Roast, 4 potatoes, 2lbs baby carrots, 1 yellow onion, salt, pepper, worchestshire sauce, kitchen bouquet, beef boullion, Cambells beef broth.
Layering order is important here:
In a large crock pot put the carrots in the bottom, pour the beef broth over it and add one beef boullion cube. Add the peeled and sliced (about 1/2 thick) potatoes. Put the roast on top and cover with two table spoons of Kitchen Bouquet, sprinkle with 1 table spoon salt, sprinkle with 1 tea spoon of pepper. Use Worchestshire sauce to rinse the roast and spread the salt, pepper and kitchen bouquet (optionally add a small amount of soy sauce also). Cut the onion in large slices and set on the roast. Cover and cook on low for 10-12 hours. Turn on high about 1/2 to 1 hr before eating to get hotter.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Baketech's Steak Grilling Tips
Applies to Strips, Ribeyes, T-Bones, Porterhouse & Filets that are cut 1-1/2"- 2" thickness. Skirts, and Flanks are a whole nuther topic... :)

Prep - Start at least 1-2 hours before grill time.

Step 1
Trim steaks to 1/4" fat if needed. (set fat aside)

Step 2
Rub lightly with olive oil. Do NOT use "Extra Virgin", this is a case of less = more.

Step 3
Season with fresh cracked pepper or (shudder) if you must "Montreal" seasoning. A Ribeye will respond to seasoning a bit better than others. Anything other than cracked peper on a Strip or Filet is blasphemy.

Step 4
Plate and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Leave on the counter at least an hour to allow meat to come to room temperature. Grilling beef straight from the fridge is the major pitfall to getting a good steak.

Step 5
Relax...this ain't Beef Wellington, go watch the race...

Grilling -

Caveats
You cannot get a hot enough fire. If you already know this, you shouldn't be reading this post anyway... Obviously, grilling times will vary with your meat thickness and grill temperature.

Step 6
Charcoal guys, start your fire nearly an hour ahead of time to build a major bed of coals.
Gas grill guys, unless you have a "real" grill with some major BTU's, you will have to light your grill nearly an hour ahead as well. Let that sucker get HOT and stable...

Step 7
Take the fat you set aside or some more olive oil and brush the grill lightly, but be quick about it or you will lose your heat...

Step 9
Quickly, lay the steaks on the grill, and close the lid. Forget that old wive's tale about "searing" on both sides...it's rubbish, and just screws up the Maillard reaction. You are going to cook the steak about 70% on this side, and finish the other 30% after turning ONCE.

Step 10
The whole process is only going to take about 10-15 minutes depending on thickness. After about 6-7 minutes (70% done) flip the steak with TONGS...not a fork... :nono:

Step 11
Doneness....this is where the art comes in. Use a thermometer if you must, but once you learn the feel at the temp you want, toss it and quit poking holes in your meat. With your left index finger, push the fleshy area between your right thumb and forefinger....that's the feel of Rare....perfect. Close your hand lightly, and feel it again...that's Med/Rare...okay. Make your grip firm and that's Well...feed the dog and return to Step #1.

Step 11
Resting...Here lies the 2nd greatest pitfall in steak grilling...
Pull your steaks off the grill just a minute or two BEFORE they are done to your liking. Set the steaks on a cutting board and cover with foil, and let them set for 4-5 minutes before putting them on a plate. This also give you time to get your other fixins ready...
Resting is one of the biggest keys to a tasty, juicy steak... :thumb:

Step 12
Plate that puppy and eat...

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Gonna have to disagree. I like marinated steak better than any other. (Except maybe Kobe Filet Mignon) Blasphemy or not.

BTW, I agree with about everything else you said, and don't own a thermometer. ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts