Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to use a mom and pops local shop for tire changing, I know the owner. All was well for a while. I had a flat on the RC a few months ago, I had taken a corner and picked something up, well the bead of the rim was nicely scratched when I got the bike back home. So I decided to have the rims painted silver to match the bike since the rear was f'd up anyways. I had seen a RC with this done at the stealer so I took 'em to the same guy that did those. Well I had my friend that owns the shop pull the tires off and he scratched the rear rim even more. He was acting like it was a real PITA to pull 2 tires one day and took it out on my I guess. So I made some calls and found out there is one guy at the stealer that won't scratch them when replacing tires. So I have the rims painted, they looked awesome, dropped them off at the stealer to remount the tires (1 new tire, 1 existing). When I dropped them off I told them to use stick on weights. What does the guy do? He uses the clip on weights. The guy has been changing my friends tires for years and not one thing scratched so I figured he might have put tape underneath or something. Well I just had the rear tire swapped and had the service guy make sure to use stick on weights this time. I pick my wheel up today and the clip weight f*cking took off all kinds of paint when he removed it. Why in the f*ck would you do this? If you were a mechanic in a shop, and people were specifically asking for you to change their tires because you do good work, why would you do this? I can 1/2 way understand a stock black wheel, the clip weight won't do too much damage but freshly painted wheels, doesn't matter what color, I 100% would have used stick on weights. Hell, go to a racetrack and find someone using clip weights, you won't find them. So I get pissed and drill the service guy, he gets the mechanic. The mechanic then informs me that he uses those 95% of the time, and that stick on weights aren't as good, and goes on to say how much better the clip weights are, I'm thinking b.s. He just didn't give a f*ck. I can't for the life of me understand why service in this industry is so f*cking poor, I read stuff online all the time about getting the run around/getting f*cked by some idiot. Hell I'd pay a pay a premium price to have some things done if I could get them done right. There isn't a place in this state that I would trust to swap forks, change tires, perform anything whatsoever on my bike, sans the damn inspection we have to get every year. F*ck I'm pissed, it's not some little paint that scratched off, it's the principle. F*ck!

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I'm with ya...

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
That's F***d. I guess I'm lucky my buddy is a mechanic with a full tire changing setup at home. Charges me $13 an end to R&R and balance the tires. He'll use whatever you like, clipon or tape weights (he generally uses tape though).

At least if you end up our here you can get hooked up with a good guy that will take care of you while you get you tires swapped, plus he often has a cold craft beer or two ready for his customers..

So far I've been able to avoid having any Stealer touch a bike of mine but if I did have to have a shop do it, there is only one I've found that I would even start to trust my beast to. Most are hacks and the ones right around me have a reptuation for being the worst. The only shining lite is that Mike Velasco's shop is just across town. Thank goodness he does Duc's and Hondas..

I know most shops will tell you they are not responsible for chips/scratches either. Can you at least get some touchup pain for the areas where the weights came off?

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I called the place where I had them done, and they told me that paint is hard to touch up because the base is flat and it has clearcoat over it, he recommended getting them repainted, f that I'm gonna make a trip up there and coax him to just touching them up. It just gets me steaming pissed when I pay a good price to have something done and they f*ck it up. I honestly think when I have more $ I am going to buy a real tire changing machine like the stealer has and go to motorcycle mechanics school part time so I now how to do anything and everything. I'm really sick of this Hell I've learned to do so much already because they suck so bad. If I could learn how to jack with shims, and adjust my own valves, these losers will get my $ when I buy a bike, and that is it. A full blown garage with tire changing machine and all required tools to work on a bike aren't cheap. It's not necessarily just the tools, you need square footage for all that crap, another expense. I honestly don't mind paying for work, it's not like I'm skating paying someone. I do it myself because someone else will just f*ck it up.

And oh yeah, I hope I get up there, Velasco being there is a definite + as is your tire bud, I've heard about him on the viffer list. Those guys that live within driving distance of DK's shop are truly blessed by God IMHO.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
This is my buddy and his setup. Cost him about $800 if I recall correctly. I was there hanging out and he popped a tire onto a VFR pal's rim in a mater of min. No scratching.. all was well and good. You know I trust him. He's already shod a set of rubber onto my Marchesini's.

And of course can you think of a more gorgeous place go buy gas?

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Holeshot : This is my buddy and his setup.  Cost him about $800 if I recall correctly.  I was there hanging out and he popped a tire onto a VFR pal's rim in a mater of min.  No scratching.. all was well and good.   You know I trust him.   He's already shod a set of rubber onto my Marchesini's.
Isn't that Kenn?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Did you buy it to look at the wheel or ride it?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I gave up on my wheels after the second tire change. They look like some used them for land excavation.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I feel excactly the same way about stealers in Oslo,Norway

I'm lucky to work at a cage dealer, so I change my own tires. We only have 'car specific' tire changers, but it does the job perfectly well. If you trust your car mechanic, why not ask if he will change your tires?

I have to balance the tires manually, but rather that than ending up with scratched rims..

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Skully : Did you buy it to look at the wheel or ride it?

Sorry, couldn't resist.  

I gave up on my wheels after the second tire change.  They look like some used them for land excavation.
I 100% agree.

But there is a big difference in f*cking something up yourself and when you pay someone. If I wanted to jack my rims up to I'd use Jeff Knight's system and cuss for 2 hours while I do it.

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Holeshot : Quote (booth23 @ Aug. 13 2003, 3:10pm)Isn't that Kenn?
Yeeeeeeeeap.   He just finished up mechanic's school.
I had dinner with him last year when he was just starting. Me and a chic from work took the ferry out to Port Orchard to see him. He is one of those legendary VFR guys.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Yeah, he's got 150k miles on that '92 of his. I think he'd have to pry that VFR out of his cold dead hands, it's part of his DNA.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I think we need to give a weekly 'Stealer A$$-Bangin' of the Week' award. I may have an entry soon. I'll wait till I know more before I post about it. F'n stealers......

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
booth23 : When I dropped them off I told them to use stick on weights.  What does the guy do?  He uses the clip on weights.  
Why didn't you raise hell with him right then?

·
Registered
6,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pete : Quote (booth23 @ Aug. 13 2003, 5:10pm)When I dropped them off I told them to use stick on weights.  What does the guy do?  He uses the clip on weights.  
Why didn't you raise hell with him right then?
Was in a hurry, and what good would have it done, damage was already done. When I picked them up I told the service tech there would be ass chewin' when I came back.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
booth23 : Was in a hurry, and what good would have it done, damage was already done.  When I picked them up I told the service tech there would be ass chewin' when I came back.
I've learned (the hard way) that timeliness is critical when dealing with unsatisfactory service and getting them to make it right. Bust their ass right then and demand that they pay for the damage. Good advice for next time, and you know there'll be a 'next time.'

·
Registered
212 Posts
I feel your pain on some bonehead that doesnt give a crap scratching your rim. I say screw those guys and buy your own tire changing equipment. I bought my own equipment and tape style wheel weights.

What makes it even worse is when the stealer rides a bike and comes around the guys that ride and tries to get some business. We have two guys in my area from two different shops pulling that crap. I'm done 'hatin' now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts