Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to anyone.

This is my story, I have a 2001 (I think), Honda Shadow 600, my main problem is that the fan won't start, the only way that can achieve some success is if I connect the wire to mass, Ok, I think, the fan switch is faulty, so I bought an original brand new fan switch then it was installed, then, I logically proceed to fill all the cooling system with an appropiate coolant liquid, after that I started the engine, let it idle for 15 to 17 minutes and nothing happened, simply the fan won't start up and my personal headache is going and going.

For security reasons, previously I took off the radiator and I sent to an specialized radiator repair, it was checked there and they found it a micro leak, a kind of mini hole at the top tank, it was solded and repaired without any problem, btw, I saw the interior of the radiator and ffor me looks pretty clean.

Another thing, also I had checked was all the wire and all the fuses are Ok.

What other parts can cause this annoying fail?

A bad thermostat, a bad radiator pressure cap?, i do not know, please help me, what do you suggest to me?

Thanks for the support.

Kawa.

P.S.
Please, forgive me for my bad and awfull english, is not my mother tongue, however, I will try to do my best effort to comunicate with all of you

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Hello to anyone.

This is my story, I have a 2001 (I think), Honda Shadow 600, my main problem is that the fan won't start, the only way that can achieve some success is if I connect the wire to mass, Ok, I think, the fan switch is faulty, so I bought an original brand new fan switch then it was installed, then, I logically proceed to fill all the cooling system with an appropiate coolant liquid, after that I started the engine, let it idle for 15 to 17 minutes and nothing happened, simply the fan won't start up and my personal headache is going and going.

For security reasons, previously I took off the radiator and I sent to an specialized radiator repair, it was checked there and they found it a micro leak, a kind of mini hole at the top tank, it was solded and repaired without any problem, btw, I saw the interior of the radiator and ffor me looks pretty clean.

Another thing, also I had checked was all the wire and all the fuses are Ok.

What other parts can cause this annoying fail?

A bad thermostat, a bad radiator pressure cap?, i do not know, please help me, what do you suggest to me?

Thanks for the support.

Kawa.

P.S. Please, forgive me for my bad and awfull english, is not my mother tongue, however, I will try to do my best effort to comunicate with all of you

Is the engine actually getting above 102C?
If not, then the fan is not going to come on as the engine is not hot enough.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the engine actually getting above 102C?
If not, then the fan is not going to come on as the engine is not hot enough.
Well, I suppose that, but, it will be possible, if you let the engine warming up in idle for 15 to 18 mins, it does not reach the appropiate temp that can start the fan?, Here in Caracas, the average temperature is 28C.

What do you think will be a nice test to check this? For example, Ride trapped in the middle of the traffic jam or a ride in low speed, maybe ride in a high degree street like San Francisco's streets?, something like that.

Thanks,

Kawa

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ready, done, I solved the problem, it was the radiator cap, I installed a new one and everything came back to normality, the fan started up very nice, I think the main problem was something related with the pressure in the cooling system, this, avoid the fan could reach its trigger temperature.

Thanks anyway,

Kawa

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Well, I suppose that, but, it will be possible, if you let the engine warming up in idle for 15 to 18 mins, it does not reach the appropiate temp that can start the fan?, Here in Caracas, the average temperature is 28C.

What do you think will be a nice test to check this? For example, Ride trapped in the middle of the traffic jam or a ride in low speed, maybe ride in a high degree street like San Francisco's streets?, something like that.

Thanks,

Kawa
It's probably easier to simply drop the switch into a pot on the stove and measure the temp at which it closes :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts