Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out this morning with a friend and his 600RR.  I was taking up the rear position and got heavy on the gas coming out of a right hander.  Hit a bumpy patch and the handlebars jerked left-right-left about 4 times sharply and quickly before it was over.  I looked down at my steering dampner and sighed a big one.  Then I cranked up the slow speed setting (left knob) as it was set a little soft.

I was and I am still happy (as a retard in a clapping contest)!!!

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Theres a spot on Lake Huges that always make my front end shake real hard, not loke to lock hard, but enough to wake you up  I've always had a dampner so It woudl probaly be alot worse without one.

Mike

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
I felt pretty good about my damper last week at Mid-Ohio....wet tar snakes in the kink (T5 ~120mph) made a distinct wobble in the front end...never had this in the dry there even at faster speeds....spooky feeling, but never hair raising.....

I think Red Rider's bike was doing the exact same thing...just at a faster pace...

·
Registered
595 Posts
Glad to hear you made it through safe and unhurt!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chain : Peteism for the day: Dampers are for weenies.
Okay tough-guy.  The gauntlet has been thrown (no hiding behind Pete).  Come ride the Crest w/ me.  Crest Linky  I've got a room you can use.  1st night to rest up, 2nd night to recover.  

Seriously though, I've got a room for you, if you ever want to experience motorcycling at it's finest.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Are dampers worth the $ if tankslappers aren't an issue?
I've put 6000k miles on my 929 since last november and never had 1 tankslapper. Not even a teeny tiny one. And my front wheel is in the air quite a bit. What gives?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
fusion929rr : Are dampers worth the $ if tankslappers aren't an issue?
I've put 6000k miles on my 929 since last november and never had 1 tankslapper.  Not even a teeny tiny one.  And my front wheel is in the air quite a bit.  What gives?
I've put 13k miles on my 929, and this was the first time I've felt the handlebars get out of control.

Steering dampeners work. I'm a believer.

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Baketech : I felt pretty good about my damper last week at Mid-Ohio....wet tar snakes in the kink (T5 ~120mph) made a distinct wobble in the front end...never had this in the dry there even at faster speeds....spooky feeling, but never hair raising.....

I think Red Rider's bike was doing the exact same thing...just at a faster pace...
I'm a firm believer in dampers. I've had some front end wag both at Grattan and Mid-Ohio and truly felt the Scotts kept everything under control.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
I've put 6000k miles on my 929 since last november and never had 1 tankslapper.  Not even a teeny tiny one.  And my front wheel is in the air quite a bit.  What gives?
Yes, they are, and here's why: even an Ohlins is cheaper than a single panel on a 929/954, so the first time you have a tankslapper the damper will pay for itself several times over, in bike damage alone. Also, don't forget that this a product that you might have for life, changing brackets as you change bikes.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have had this same dillema...I have NEVER had a tank slapper...I think because I am a pretty slow rider...and I am a fat ass? But all the stories I have heard about the 929 being light in the front and so many other people getting them I felt it was worth it. I also got a really good deal on one. I consider it extra protection that maybe I will never use hopefully. Plus...since I love the bling factor...the damper just looks really cool...so for its good for bling and for safety!

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
AsianImage : I have had this same dillema...I have NEVER had a tank slapper...I think because I am a pretty slow rider...and I am a fat ass?  But all the stories I have heard about the 929 being light in the front and so many other people getting them I felt it was worth it.  I also got a really good deal on one.  I consider it extra protection that maybe I will never use hopefully.  Plus...since I love the bling factor...the damper just looks really cool...so for its good for bling and for safety!
- except for the fat ass part . J/K AI.
And the fact that I paid full pop for my Ohlins from DK.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Kinda sounds like my girlfriends daughter.
It hasnt happened.........YET

The first time it does it may be too late!!

·
Registered
441 Posts
I get some head shake just about every time I ride. I have a damper and it still has some. If you like your bike to turn in fast and you raise the rear to make it happen you will get some head shake very easy. I got it on my bike stock just getting onto freeway on ramps when the front would get lite.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I never had a tankslapper, either...until one hot day in July of 2000. When it happened, it was sudden and unexpected, and there was nothing I could do. I went down hard. Totaled the bike (929).

I won't ride hard again without a damper. It's like insurance; you hope you'll never need it, but if you DO, you'll be REAL glad you have it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts