Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just Picked up a 954 RR a few months back.. Was on the highway last night racing a Buell 1125 and noticed around the 120 range a little shimmy in the front.. Would a steering dampner help that? BTW I do not promote racing or speeding but Like to get on it once in a while.. hit me back

Ocho

·
Registered
93 Posts
What do you mean by shimmy? I've found that stabilizers help less on small shakes but are great for preventing catasrophic tankslappers.

Bike setup (suspension, balance) and technique (no input on bars) help on the small stuff.

·
Registered
62 Posts
yep i agree with tx , with a damper on and riding spirited , hitting the smallest bump you will still feel a slight bit of movement in the bars but the damper will help prevent an all out tank slapper

·
Registered
233 Posts
Does a tank slapper usually=crash?
Yes. Usually, but it can be corrected sometimes. If you have the presence of mind in such a situation, and it is not at a breakneck spead one con sometimes crack the throttle, thus taking weight off the front tire and give the rider the ability to straighten it out. So I've been told anyhow.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm wondering because it happened to me one time on my 929, I was racing a friend's GRXR (on a closed coarse;) ) and it happened to me. I didnt dump it, but i have no idea what i did to keep it from dumping. With out the fairings the bike was really prone to the wobble if i was on it enough to get it light in the front, since the fairings its never even hinted at it. It was actually scary to push it without fairings. Not so scary now :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts