Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Im finally getting around to installing a new triple tree I got to replace my broken one. when i started removing the old one i realized the bearings inside the stock were ball type bearings, and the one on the new triple tree were of the conical type. are these interchangable? both the ball and conical bearimgs look great so i would repack them but i dont know which to use. any help???

many thanks!!
Danny

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,116 Posts
Hi all. Im finally getting around to installing a new triple tree I got to replace my broken one. when i started removing the old one i realized the bearings inside the stock were ball type bearings, and the one on the new triple tree were of the conical type. are these interchangable? both the ball and conical bearimgs look great so i would repack them but i dont know which to use. any help???

many thanks!!
Danny
The races are different between the the balls and tapered rollers, they do not interchange. Now, they can look good all day long, but if you feel the tree "detent" when you turn it left to right and it "falls" back to the middle they pretty much need replacement. That can be tested with a properly adjusted top bearing race nut. Also, if you're getting a "clunking" sound from the front end it might just be that proper adjustment you need.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the response ian. i never had any clunking or movement from the tree at all. when i opened it up the top tree was dry, rust free and the grease was only a little dried up. im replacing it because i broke the top tree on the one that was on the bike. i just didint know why the one i just bought had the tapered ones on it and if i could use them ( they seem beefier than the ball ones in the plastic). ill clean everything abd check the races, buy new ball type bearings.

thanks for the response ian!!

·
President: Team Full Chat
8,116 Posts
thanks for the response ian. i never had any clunking or movement from the tree at all. when i opened it up the top tree was dry, rust free and the grease was only a little dried up. im replacing it because i broke the top tree on the one that was on the bike. i just didint know why the one i just bought had the tapered ones on it and if i could use them ( they seem beefier than the ball ones in the plastic). ill clean everything abd check the races, buy new ball type bearings.

thanks for the response ian!!
No problem, I had the tapered rollers on my original 93 build and thought that they took a bit of feel away from the front end. They were heavier and didn't seem to sit right in the neck. I went back to the balls, and have done so on each of the next 2 900's I've owned.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts