Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I installed my Scotts damper today, the instructions said to tighten the new nut on top of the triple-clamp to 85ft/lbs, or to bike specs.

I was too lazy to go inside for the shop manual and installed the damper, torquing the nut to 85ft/lbs. Now that I have read it, I see the stock nut calls for 75ft/lbs.

I want to do it right, but I will have to disassemble the whole unit, loc-tite included to get to the nut. Will 10ft/lbs make a difference on this part, the bearings, etc..?

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
Sorry DUX, I can't frigging remember! I have an Ohlins, and I'm thinking recommended torque was even a bit less that the stock 75. :idunno: Someone will chime in!

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Bacchus, but I know the specs and I have the new nut torqued 10ft/lbs higher than the stock. My question was will this 10ft/lbs put too much pressure on the bearings in the steering head?

For some reason, I thought I remembered someone writing that this nut doesn't put any pressure on the bearings at all.

·
Registered
960 Posts
DUX said:
Thanks Bacchus, but I know the specs and I have the new nut torqued 10ft/lbs higher than the stock. My question was will this 10ft/lbs put too much pressure on the bearings in the steering head?

For some reason, I thought I remembered someone writing that this nut doesn't put any pressure on the bearings at all.
I can't say for sure on a 954 but on a VFR750 the head bearings are torqued with a locknut under the top triple clamp. I'd be very surprised if the 954 wasn't similar.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts