Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched, and I know it used to be in the Knowledge Base, but it seems that maybe we've (temporarily) lost some info in the recent database changes.

I've finally given in to the steering head update, but like many others, my ignition lock no longer works. I'm not really into taking the bike back to the dealership and would rather fix it myself.

Can anyone tell me how to re-align the locking pin with the holes in the steering head. It looks like the pin is about 1/4" low.

TIA

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I got my done a few weeks ago, (after hacking off my scotts) and there are no problems with the locking? I have actually ridden the bike at the gap without the scotts...it is awesome!!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ConqSoft said:
Thanks, Conq. I didn't come up with that one when I searched. Unfortunately, it didn't really resolve the problem. It would seem that the "answer" is to choose between rising the top yoke to fit, or shimming the yoke to fit. Basically, same thing, but with or without the shim. :rolleyes:

Both seem a little suspect to me -- guess I'll just deal with no lock; I never really use it anyway. It just bugs to not have it "right" after the update.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Im not sure which bearing are in mine, I presume that the post recall bearings were used as it isnt that old, in any case the front end of my bike has lately felt quiet nervous and I could feel a very slight clunking at low speed over rough surfaces (although there wasnt any noticable play), so i had a sneaking suspision that the headset needed retensioning, I think the headset is supposed to be tensioned to about 29nm, I just added a little more tension (at first I tensioned it a little too much, but seemed to get it right on the second attempt) and now its like a new bike, its just much more confidence inspiring in turns and I dont feel myself using such a death grip as I had been lately leading to arm pump and definately dont feel the need for a steering dampner now!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Had a similar prob with the lock after my recall.
Found that the lock holes were very slightly out of line and 30 seconds with a riffler file to slightly enlarge the holes sorted the problem with no messing with shims!

·
Registered
48 Posts
when i had mine done it would not lock and thanks to the org. i knew to check it before i left they resolved the problem by putting a washer under the triple tree to raise it up and it worked fine!! Before i got the bearings done this thing was uncontrollable headshake all the time, since i got it done which has been bout 9 months hasnt shaken since!!!!!:highclap: :coolmod:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts