Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stem bearings are giving me the flux. :eek: ..too tight...too loose...never the way they should be. I have been told the tapered bearing set is much easier to deal with and works better. Anyone have any experience with this ?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
Easier to adjust and install, but the steering tends to be a little bit slower as there is a lot more surface area in contact with the races.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
CBRBob said:
Easier to adjust and install, but the steering tends to be a little bit slower as there is a lot more surface area in contact with the races.
Um, you DO realize that the '02 954 came with tapered roller bearings in the head, and the 'service update' (that many people mistakenly refer to as a recall) changed them back to ball bearings. This was because the steering was too quick on the 954, and some people couldn't handle it.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
BDA116 said:
Um, you DO realize that the '02 954 came with tapered roller bearings in the head, and the 'service update' (that many people mistakenly refer to as a recall) changed them back to ball bearings. This was because the steering was too quick on the 954, and some people couldn't handle it.
It was also to clean the metal shavings from the area

·
Registered
102 Posts
I converted my lower head bearing to tapered rollers and left the upper as balls. This ads some stability (decreases potential for headshake) but doesn't drag down the steering feel too much. I think it's a great compromise. :thumb:
The other thing is, steeringhead bearing tightness is a maintenance item. It's easy enough to accomplish. I check the torque when I change the oil. No big deal! :idunno:

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
BDA116 said:
They had metal particles left in the steering head, not for fast steering.

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
The whole metal shavings thing was way overblown.
The 'Service Update' was specifically to replace the tapered roller bearings with ball bearings. It had everything to do with slowing down the steering to get rid of some headshake that was reported as being a major problem mostly in the Euro press, and nothing to do with metal shavings. SOME people found shavings, most didn't. Also, if one were to take a close look at how the bearings work and were sealed one would find that the metal shavings posed no threat to the bearings.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Whether changing the bearings, or just clearing out the swarf, it makes sense to take the headset apart so that it can be greased properly, something that the factory often fails to do. Allegedly.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Proto said:
Whether changing the bearings, or just clearing out the swarf, it makes sense to take the headset apart so that it can be greased properly, something that the factory often fails to do. Allegedly.
Honda didn't do it properly on the 2 new ones I've bought. 1 dirt, 1 street.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts