Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is covered on my bike right? I think both are bad. What happens is when I press the handlebars to turn the bike it takes a few inches to get the bike to actually start leaning so there's a noticible amount of "play" in the handlebars before the bike starts to turn and I was under the impression riding my f2 and my 954 back to back that the steering is supposed to be stiff.

My bike has 3k miles.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
You're talking about the 954, right? That one had a recall. They went from (IMO, superior) tapered bearings, and replaced with ball bearings with the recall. I had the recall performed, and really don't notice much of a diff. However, if you're a track kinda guy, you may just want to pull the steering stem off and clean out the junk (shavings) yourself. :idunno:

·
Registered
236 Posts
they should be covered under warranty provided you havent been using the bike to stunt around.
and the recall was only for 02 models as well i believe.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Check for the recall...your head tube will been stamped if 'recalled', optional recall... on it or just look up your SN. I reccomend the recall. It was mostly for the first few batches of 954s...and honda started doing the change at the factory.

the stock tires/suspension...setup is pretty slow to turn in stock. Research people...RESEARCH! junking the 190/50 is the first step. then start w/ suspension. Unless you stunt..then get the phuc outta here.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
They're probably not worn out, just loose.

·
Registered
728 Posts
CBRBob said:
Yea the tapered bearings will last forever but do steer a little slower than the ball bearings. It's a tradeoff.
I thought the complaint was that the CBR954s had head shake problems due to steering that was too quick. I was also under the impression that the tapered bearings were quicker than the roller bearing, since the steering on my VFR got quicker with the tapered bearings. Oh well, live and learn.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
The tapered bearing has more bearing area and thus gives less friction and more feel.

The roller bearing adds friction, which acts like a steering damper, and reduces feel, so you don't feel quite so much going on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts