Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I got the heat gun and am trying to remove the giant decal from the spare RC tail I have (so it can be painted Blue :eyebrows: ). I am having a very hard time getting it started to peel though. Any tricks the experts can recommend?

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Peel the sticker slowly, and stay a little ahead of yourself with the heat gun. Kinda have to heat with one hand and peel with the other. Don't keep the gun in the same spot for too long so you don't melt the plastic.

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The heat is adjustable it is getting it started that is giving me fits. It seems to flake away rather than peel :(

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
You can go to NAPA and get a Graphics Eraser. It really is a big eraser that fits onto the end of your drill. It's about 4" round and flat like a grinding wheel. Put that thing on medium speed and you will never hurt the paint. Not only that, but as the decal removes from the friction so will the glue.

This is how I've been removing decals for quite some time now. If you can't get it an an Auto Parts store such as NAPA try a local Body Shop or Graphics supply store.

That decal will be gone in about 5 min.
I removed every decal on my Mazda Truck before repainting. It took about 30 min. and all I had to do was sweep up.

No chemicals.

Don't use a razor either. You'll scar the part.

I don't use any heat on plastics what-so-ever as it tends to warp it to some degree.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Sounds to me like Sheep's not heating the sticker enough. Take your time Sheep and don't rush by using too hot a temp. Both the sticker and the piece it's attached to need to be warm enough so the glue will become sticky and allow you to peel it away. If it's tearing or coming off in partial pieces, then you need to warm it up a bit more before starting to take it off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Haven't tried it yet, but I asked the same quesion on another forum and everyone said use WD-40 as well as heating it up.

·
Registered
212 Posts
before you start peeling any part of it, leave the heat on the part you want to peel first there for a while. move it around so it doesnt get too hot. then start to peel it away, and just keep the heat on it. it takes a while. ive never tried a heat gun, but a hair dryer might work better. use goo gone on an old t-shirt or rag to remove any glue.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Sheep, if you're going to paint it, just sand that damned thing off.

That eraser thing works well on metal, but eats ABS plastic.. I'd advise against it. WD-40 often works if your surface is already finished.

·
Registered
8 Posts
CBRVFR said:

That eraser thing works well on metal, but eats ABS plastic.. I'd advise against it. WD-40 often works if your surface is already finished.
That's a lot of sanding though. I used a hair dryer to heat them up then peeled them off. Worked slowly but surely, fingers were numb for two days after peeling them off, but some of the original paint came off anyway, and I had to sand it down then primer it. Oh well it's done looks good now.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Just use a hair dryer. I took the "V" thing off the front of my 929 this way...worked like a charm and looks great now

·
Registered
14,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
CBRVFR said:

I wound up being part really lousy paint job :)rant: Honda) and stickers that peeled of easy. The part that I could not get loose was obviosly paint :O. However in my defense it was paint that had a huge seam and was so poorly put on it feel like a faded decal :eek: As such everything is painted and will be on display in the sheep/southpark garage at Grattan (and when I get everything on the bike I will post pictures). Things turned out decent considering the hooves holding the spray gun had not sprayed a thing in a decade or more.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
sheepofblue said:
The part that I could not get loose was obviosly paint :O. However in my defense it was paint that had a huge seem and was so poorly put on it feel like a faded decal :eek: .

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

(it is hard to tell sometimes, but that is still funny)

Reactions: sheepofblue
1 - 17 of 17 Posts