Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my DK forks on my bike for about 100 miles now. They don't move very freely. I mean the motion is not 'fluid ' at all. If i lean on the front end, the forks compress in a series of fits and jerks, like 1/2 inch at a time. I have set the sag but because of the sticky motion i am sure that the sag is not correct. Do i just need to ride it more to break them in?

The forks also make a bit of a clunk when they compress that can be felt through the bars, and heard. The fork bolts have been tightened to factory specs. I have no previous experience with custom forks, so i am not sure what to expect. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Factory specs meaning you torqued them right?

Did you get new seals? This does not sound right.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes they were torqued using the proper tools. Reading my post again, i would say 1/2 inch is exagerating a bit. the forks just don't move that freely, and they will definatly stick in various stages of compression. I can bounce hard on them and they move throughout the travel, but thay aren't silky smooth like i have heard they should be. As far as the parts that dan changes when he does tha valving, and spring change i don't know. Does he replace the seals and all?

·
Registered
160 Posts
AB954 : I have had my DK forks on my bike for about 100 miles now. They don't move very freely. I mean the motion is not 'fluid ' at all. If i lean on the front end, the forks compress in a series of fits and jerks, like 1/2 inch at a time. I have set the sag but because of the sticky motion i am sure that the sag is not correct. Do i just need to ride it more to break them in?

The forks also make a bit of a clunk when they compress that can be felt through the bars, and heard. The fork bolts have been tightened to factory specs. I have no previous experience with custom forks, so i am not sure what to expect. Thanks in advance.
What did DK say about that?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He's a busy guy, just wanted to find out if this is normal before i bug him. Thanks for the input guys.

·
Registered
160 Posts
AB954 : He's a busy guy, just wanted to find out if this is normal before i bug him. Thanks for the input guys.
But you know what, that's what he gets paid for.

That's part of the service you pay for in my opinion!

·
Registered
661 Posts
BDA116 : Take off your front wheel, and re-install it correctly.
Good call. The forks could be pinched.  Loosen the pinch bolts on the axle and bounce it.  Still sticking?  I know the 954 has the worse stiction #s of any forks.  My seals loosened up after some miles, but 100 should do it?!?

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
loosen all of the pinch bolts then spin the wheel... while its spinning, hit the front brake so the wheel snaps to a stop, do this a few times... It helps get the wheel/brakes/forks lined up. I rarely, if ever, bounce my forks to get the wheel/axle centered...

·
Registered
661 Posts
ccwilli3 : loosen all of the pinch bolts then spin the wheel...  while its spinning, hit the front brake so the wheel snaps to a stop, do this a few times...  It helps get the wheel/brakes/forks lined up.  I rarely, if ever, bounce my forks to get the wheel/axle centered...
How does spinning the wheel and hitting the brakes line up the fork legs?

·
Registered
502 Posts
Loosening the axle pinch bolts and working the forks through their travel allows the fork legs to seek their own alignment reltive to each other. Sliding the axle through the fork legs and torqueing everything down without doing this means you may have forks that are not positioned parallel to each other. Loosening the pinch bolts (not the axle) and working the forks will get things lined up, and hopefully you'll see an improvement. If not, then the other possibility is that the bushings inside may have been setup a bit too snug. That would require disassembly, unfortunately, or a lot of miles/patience for them to wear in and loosen up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts