Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys and gals, I just changed bikes from several Harley Davidson Sportsters to a nice Honda 599 and I finding the suspension to be too soft.
Has anyone tried Progressive Springs with heavier oil up front and purchased the upgrade shocks?
Is this soft ride normal for a stock machine (2004) with 1000 miles?
Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the direction, Sportsters need Progressive Springs right out of the crate.
I will check out Race Tech..thanks
Let me add this: I gave my Honda a K+N air filter, dynojets, 2 bros exhaust and the bike has come alive.
The difference is amazing. I did an unintentional wheelie in 3rd gear in a turn and then brought her up to 130 mph and the bike was still pulling.
Even ducked behind the windshield I rolled it back cause of the wind.
If the suspension was stiffer I could safely get more out of it.

Again thanks I will get right on it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you like lifting the front end look into a sprocket swap of -1 in the front and +2 in the rear. It will lower top speed, but give more acceleration.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Zookmor, I am actually looking to extend time between shifts.
My former life was 40+ years of HD.
I would be interested in hearing experiences of riders that have added a tooth or two for top end.
Is one tooth a waste of time or is two too many? The bike is running very well but I need something I cannot put my finger on. I have plenty of horse power and although the suspension is very soft I can manage nicely. The tranny is very close between one and two unless I get on it.
Traffic makes that difficult and the front end dives and I have to get to third before I am rolling comfortably. What is the solution do you think?
Thanks
Jay

·
Registered
63 Posts
A popular solution for your situation would be +1 in the front, because it is only 25 or 30 dollars to do, and if you still want more then you can go -2 on the rear. for every 2 you move on the rear its like moving 1 on the front. I currently run a +1/+2 combo, and its basically like stock gearing but better for 2 up riding.

·
Registered
52 Posts
everyone that i now of including myself and all the smaller sprockets for sale on fourms..dont bother..unless 0 to 30 is your thing..your power is killed all around great for climbing a tree

1 - 7 of 7 Posts