Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've been reading alot of post on this and different boards about stock air filters vs aftermarket air filters. I could not find any posts that had dyno runs stating one way or another. Just people saying that the stock was the best.

I must have more money than brains, because I've decided to compare the stock and BMC race. I ordered the BMC race filter today. When it comes in I'm going to run my 954 with the stock filter, then the BMC. I will post the results and dyno sheets.

Just for info, I made 142hp/69.9tq the last time I had a dyno tune on the 954.

Mod on the 954 are:

Hindle high mount full exhaust
PCIII
Flapper mod
Pair mod

I'll update this post when I get the filter in.

Rick

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think you can find such results from the esteemed Abtech right here in the KB. But, if I recall correctly BMC stuff wasn't run. either way, if the tests are valid, the more info the better?!

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I believe running a 'race' filter on the street is a bad idea - it lets a lot of crap flow through to the engine, along with the extra O2...

Z...

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have wanted to reply to this post for sometime but am using my office computer and couldn't logon using my old info. Anyway, here is the 411, I have an '02 954 R/B, full Hindle, Flapper mod, custom map done by L&L motorsports. My bike made a best of 140.5 with the BMC and 140.9 with the stock filter. These runs were done 15 minutes apart(time to change the filter). That only tells half the story, with the stock filter we had a 3 horse gain from idle to redline with no losses anywhere. By the way, I gained around 4-5 horses with the custom map. I was disappointed when I only made 135.7 with a full system and no map. I was at 132.5 stock. The track I run at is around 4500 feet so a sea level run would show slightly more even though the computer(dyno) corrects for altitude. If I find a scanner I'll upload the dyno chart.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
For those that don't know who L&L is, Louie is one of the best dyno guys there is.  Dynojet frequently uses him for R&D.

·
Registered
62 Posts
By the way, Louie from L&L told me the BMC was costing me 2-3 horses compared to stock, but he's just a tuner who builds race engines and does dyno tuning for race teams for a living, so what does he know(LOL). On a more serious note, anyone who's near L&L. the guy is amazing at tuning and doesn't B.S. you by selling you somthing you don't need. I've seen him do a 15 horse gain on an '03 R6 on race gas.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
On race gas? Doesn't he know that race gas actually loses HP and that he should run the lowest possible octane stuff that he can find. I have read several knowledgeable posts on this forum and a few others that say race gas is a total waste of money . . .

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
abtech : On race gas?  Doesn't he know that race gas actually loses HP and that he should run the lowest possible octane stuff that he can find.  I have read several knowledgeable posts on this forum and a few others that say race gas is a total waste of money . . .

You kill me...

Z...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I believe running a 'race' filter on the street is a bad idea - it lets a lot of crap flow through to the engine, along with the extra O2...

Z...

Hello... just wondering was there any results for the difference of BMC race filter or stock filter?

For those who haven't replace their filter, is it really worth to replace to BMC (race) filter?

·
Banned
1,715 Posts
I never tried the "race" version of the BMC, all I know is the one BMC I am using is crapola compared to a stock paper filter. Too restrictive.

·
Registered
210 Posts
then you are using the street version

however have you actually flow tested the street version compared to the stock one or are you speculating

1 - 15 of 15 Posts