Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! I went to Castle Combe for a track day today only to find that my new 2009 blade failed noise levels on scrutinizing. It registered 109db where the track has a limit of 105db.

They are red hot on noise and will turn you away if you are 1db over. Cost me an overnight and a 240 mile round trip and NO TRACK DAY!

Is there any way to reduce the noise from a stock 2009 blade? Measurements are taken at 9750rpm which is long after the exhaust valve has opened. Getting an aftermarket exhaust seems to make matters worse.

Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Help! I went to Castle Combe for a track day today only to find that my new 2009 blade failed noise levels on scrutinizing. It registered 109db where the track has a limit of 105db.

They are red hot on noise and will turn you away if you are 1db over. Cost me an overnight and a 240 mile round trip and NO TRACK DAY!

Is there any way to reduce the noise from a stock 2009 blade? Measurements are taken at 9750rpm which is long after the exhaust valve has opened. Getting an aftermarket exhaust seems to make matters worse.

Any suggestions?
Good job you don't live in California :)
Are you sure they're doing it right?
9750RPM is way higher than here. I would've thought somewhere around 5-6000RPM. You sure that isn't for something like a CBR250RR?
Do you have a link to their test requirements?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I guess if they're making up the rule themselves there's not much you can do about it.
Our track testing is 500mm from the muffler outlet at the same height above ground but at 45 degrees to the axis of the muffler. Engine warmed up, in neutral with the revs steady at a calculated point based on engine stroke (roughly 50% of redline). For the 55.1mm stroke of the '09 1000RR that would be 6000RPM. Our limit for Road Racing is 102dB(A).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds sensible to me. Problem with the stubby exhaust is the valve that opens at 5.5-6K turns it into virtually a straight through pipe and at 9750 that make a real racket.

What I am thinking is if there is a way to stop the valve opening during the noise test and then flick a switch / reconnect a cable afterwards It may get thru. Any ideas if this can be done?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Sounds sensible to me. Problem with the stubby exhaust is the valve that opens at 5.5-6K turns it into virtually a straight through pipe and at 9750 that make a real racket.

What I am thinking is if there is a way to stop the valve opening during the noise test and then flick a switch / reconnect a cable afterwards It may get thru. Any ideas if this can be done?
I got pinged for noise at Broadford in '92 so I got a big welch plug, drilled a hole through it and pressed it into the muffler outlet. Got me through okay.
I wouldn't suggest trying to cheat through the testing and then removing whatever you've done as that is the sort of crap that ruins it for everybody. Once people start complaining about the noise, the next time you go the limit might be 2dBA lower again...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good point. I will be spending the evening in the garage this evening attempting to make some sort of device that I can clamp in place for days like this.

I have some old zausts knocking around so will try to come up with something! If it works I will post the pics here 'cos I sure as hell wont be the only poor sod that gets told to p..s off from Castle Combe!

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Good point. I will be spending the evening in the garage this evening attempting to make some sort of device that I can clamp in place for days like this.

I have some old zausts knocking around so will try to come up with something! If it works I will post the pics here 'cos I sure as hell wont be the only poor sod that gets told to p..s off from Castle Combe!
Aren't there any other circuits you can go to?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are but I live miles away from them and Castle Combe is the closest. Next is Donnington (90 miles further) but having checked their website they have a 105dB limit too. :-(

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
There are but I live miles away from them and Castle Combe is the closest. Next is Donnington (90 miles further) but having checked their website they have a 105dB limit too. :-(
That sucks then.
Maybe somebody needs to complain to Honda :)

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I didn't even think about road testing. Might have to look that up as well now :)

·
Registered
399 Posts
I hope all you UK folks have signed the No10 petition against the blanket reduction of the National speed limit for single carrigeways to 50MPH.Its the last day that you can so just do it.

Unless your happy to ride your Blade at 50 of course.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've also never run into DB testing on US tracks.. Florida, Washington, Oregon and California. The only place close to me that does test is Mission Raceway in Mission, BC.

I feel for you guys and GL fixing that problem. What a shitter to be turned away like that.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I believe Laguna Seca is 92dBA?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts