Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! Im wondering if anyone can tell me what the stock chain and sprocket size is for my 2002 CBR954RR. Also, what is the best brand to go with that wont beat my wallet up.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I imagine the Canadian model is the same as the US model

gearing is 16/43 with a 530 chain.

I'd go for a 15/45 setup with a 520 chain and Al sprockets, RK, vortex, any of them really.

·
Registered
170 Posts
generally you wanna stay away from the aluminum sprockets, they wear a lot faster....not worth the tiny weight savings in my opinion. But the 520 conversion is definately the way to go. I have seen the rk kits on ebay with a little bit quicker gearing (like 16/45 or somethin) for around $200. Thats not bad for 2 sprockets and a high quality o ring or x ring chain

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
generally you wanna stay away from the aluminum sprockets, they wear a lot faster....not worth the tiny weight savings in my opinion. But the 520 conversion is definately the way to go. I have seen the rk kits on ebay with a little bit quicker gearing (like 16/45 or somethin) for around $200. Thats not bad for 2 sprockets and a high quality o ring or x ring chain
I haven't found modern hard-annodised aluminium sprockets to wear too badly at all. In the old days they were plain 6061 and you could wear out a sprocket in a couple of race days. Considering you remove one-third of the mass of the chain and sprockets (about 1kg saved and most of it off the rear wheel which really helps the suspension too) it's well worth it in my experience. I wouldn't bother going to 520 if you're going to run steel sprockets though as most of the saving is in the rear sprocket.
My recommendation is nearly always -1/+2 as you can run the stock chain length.
Get a -1 front and try it first for a few weeks. You can run a 520 sprocket with 525 or 530 chain. If you like it then order the new chain at stock length and a stock rear. If you want more then order up to +2 rear and stock chain or go +3-+4 bigger and get a two-link longer chain.

·
Registered
82 Posts
dont forget you might want a speedo healer if you change the sprocket's

as your speedo will over read there around £70 sterling so quite a lot of dollars

·
Super Moderator
14,706 Posts
I haven't found modern hard-annodised aluminium sprockets to wear too badly at all. In the old days they were plain 6061 and you could wear out a sprocket in a couple of race days. Considering you remove one-third of the mass of the chain and sprockets (about 1kg saved and most of it off the rear wheel which really helps the suspension too) it's well worth it in my experience. I wouldn't bother going to 520 if you're going to run steel sprockets though as most of the saving is in the rear sprocket.
My recommendation is nearly always -1/+2 as you can run the stock chain length.
Get a -1 front and try it first for a few weeks. You can run a 520 sprocket with 525 or 530 chain. If you like it then order the new chain at stock length and a stock rear. If you want more then order up to +2 rear and stock chain or go +3-+4 bigger and get a two-link longer chain.
The problem I found with going to a smaller front sprocket is the chain chewing out the chain slider on the swing arm quicker and then damages the swingarm so I stick with the standard 16 front and go larger on the rear.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
The problem I found with going to a smaller front sprocket is the chain chewing out the chain slider on the swing arm quicker and then damages the swingarm so I stick with the standard 16 front and go larger on the rear.
I haven't had this problem running a 15 front for the past 15,000kms.
My rears are 44-48 which probably helps a little.

·
Super Moderator
14,706 Posts
I haven't had this problem running a 15 front for the past 15,000kms.
My rears are 44-48 which probably helps a little.
I'd say it would with that big a rear.
You could nearly go trail riding Larry.:rotfl:

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,706 Posts

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Blade, with 15/48, how many links are in your chain?
Never counted. I just cut them to fit the gearing I'm running.
With 48 teeth I have to have the sprocket in the chain and then slide the axle through so I couldn't go 49 with the same chain.
At a guess I'd say it's probably 110 but it might be 112 links.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts