Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

61 - 80 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
It's almost 10 years since I stopped my 2-pack-a-day habit. I did it cold turkey. I had cravings for maybe the first 2 years or so, but they gradually diminished. Will power is probably key, but I would suggest a lifestyle change, ie, health/fitness interests, etc. It will help immensely. Someone mentioned early that they easily reignited their habit after 18 years. I believe this would be easy to do for those of us that have smoked previously, as there is a "well worn path" in our brains, or trained receptors that are on standby, to help this along.
I still consider myself a smoker for this reason, but one that chooses not to smoke.
Very true the gym has helped me big time through it.:thumb:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
It's almost 10 years since I stopped my 2-pack-a-day habit. I did it cold turkey. I had cravings for maybe the first 2 years or so, but they gradually diminished. Will power is probably key, but I would suggest a lifestyle change, ie, health/fitness interests, etc. It will help immensely. Someone mentioned early that they easily reignited their habit after 18 years. I believe this would be easy to do for those of us that have smoked previously, as there is a "well worn path" in our brains, or trained receptors that are on standby, to help this along.
I still consider myself a smoker for this reason, but one that chooses not to smoke.
This is probably correct, although I do not consider myself to be a smoker now.

Some people have told me they haven't smoked in 10+ years and still crave it, but I am really disgusted by it at this point and just can't see myself going back now. My habit was maybe 5-10 cigs a day which wasn't too crazy but there are those little moments when I want it, but they are definitly not strong enough to make me actually pick one up and light it.....I would be too upset with myself.
When I thought I should give up, it was impossible.

When I truly wanted to give up, it was easy.

·
Registered
277 Posts
well here's my story on quitting. everyone in my family smokes( i'm the only one who doesn't ) . quit cold turkey 15 years ago , was a 1 1/2- 2 pack a day smoker. watched my dad die from what started a lung cancer then to the brain/spine. funny thing is as my family was crying at the hospital they would take" smoke" breaks :huh:. can't stand the smell, no cravings. just addicted to a cold beer now :smilebig:. good luck to all.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Well I started for all the wrong reasons, had nothing else to do when I hung out with friends when they were on the smoking sessions which was all the time. I also thought that guys who smoked looked cool and maybe girls like smokers better. So it started with 1-2 a day and eventually it became a habit. I'd have headaches if I don't get those 2 sticks each day. One day a friend burst my bubble and I realized that I won't have better chances with girls with a smoldering stick between my fingers, so I quit.

I still hang out with my friends who smoke though, but I just take a few cold ones. No smoking for me now.

Good luck to everyone who's trying to quit. :)

·
Registered
20,979 Posts
I stopped smoking completely on the 22nd December 2010. Ok I was quite ill this year but, I've stopped. And I have come to realise that a LOT of my smoking was through boredom. Glad I'm past it now though.

Good luck to all still trying to kick what essentially a horrible habit.:thumb:

·
Registered
503 Posts
This is a great thread topic.

My story is I smoked for 30+ years, quit for two, and I've just passed the one year mark again.

When I was smoking, and really wishing I had better will power so I could kick the habit, our [Australian] television was saturated with truly nasty advertisements to make people quit. They showed stuff like amputations from gangrene, squeezing the tar out of a pair of lungs, the plaque out of an artery...you get the picture. These ads were based on guilt, trying to make us feel so bad about ourselves that we would want to quit.

They used to really piss me off because that is not what smokers need to hear. We already feel guilty for the damage we are doing to our bodies, and the risk we are taking with our families. those ads just made me feel more worthless, and more likely to keep smoking.

Well last year they introduced a whole new set of ads which accentuate the positives. Instead of telling us how we are killing ourselves by smoking, these ads tell us how we will heal when we quit. Things like, in two days the nictoine has left our system, in one week your sense of taste and smell improves, in one year you have halved your risk of cardiac disease, in ten years your lungs have repaired themselves [don't take that as a quote, I don't remember the stats exactly]. Stuff like that is what people need to hear.

I used Champix to quit...nasty side effects but works well for people with 0 will power.

For everyone who is trying to give up I wish you well, you are not alone. My one piece of advice would be to use every available source of assistance you can [your GP, "quit line" in Australian, your friends etc] and don't be too hard on yourself if you slip.

Good luck to you my friend. :)

·
Registered
364 Posts
I quit smoking 2 years ago and at the first couple months I lost 15 pounds...
Just felt so much better and breathed so much easier that had I much more energy and a boost of metabolism, I guess you could say. After awhile food started tasting alot better and I eventually gained it back and then some. But overall I'd say that triumphing over cigarettes was one of my greatest achievements in life!!

Never felt better!!

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
How many of you have been using the gym to help quit? It seems to be a good tool.
last time I quit was when I was playing hockey. I could see cardio in the gym being a good reason. I only lift though. Never really made a difference
I quit smoking 2 years ago and at the first couple months I lost 15 pounds...
Just felt so much better and breathed so much easier that had I much more energy and a boost of metabolism, I guess you could say. After awhile food started tasting alot better and I eventually gained it back and then some. But overall I'd say that triumphing over cigarettes was one of my greatest achievements in life!!

Never felt better!!
lose weight? Damn it. I'm under-weight as it is

·
Registered
927 Posts
Hey Brandon, the flip side for some people is the obvious loss of appetite when you smoke. You aren't starving yourself, but you are deffinitely not getting what you need to recover and gain as much muscle mass as you would off cigarettes. I'm friends with a guy (another rider) who was in great shape, smoking aside, and then he had heart surgery.. He is soo much thinner. Probably lost 25lbs of muscle mass in a few short months. He is really struggling to get it back at a year as he has not quit smoking. I used to weigh 210lbs and was in incredible shape and then I came across something really vicious. I had a nasal, throat and stomach virus.. losing blood through my nose and mouth for about a week and a half straight dropped me down to 188lbs. Never got back up to 210lbs but i'm 197-199 depending on the day but now I do more running so I'm at goal weight I guess. Took me about 2 months.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Well folks...I stopped on the 13th December last year....and now I'm a right miserable bastard. Put on 7kilos in weight too, so I'm not only a miserable bastard, I'm a fat, miserable bastard.:idunno: :(

·
Registered
20,979 Posts
Well folks...I stopped on the 13th December last year....and now I'm a right miserable bastard. Put on 7kilos in weight too, so I'm not only a miserable bastard, I'm a fat, miserable bastard.:idunno: :(
You need to do more shagging to keep your mind off the food :smilebig: :D :rotfl::rotfl:

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hey folks, I hope everyone on here who has been trying to give up, or has given up, are doing well. I also hope that those who lost weight get it back; and those who put it on get it back off [hmmm....sounds fun ;)].

...it never occurred to me to ask my partner for a "mercy shag"...must try that :)

I have just passed the four year mark and going strong.

Good luck to all who are still struggling.

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
I have just passed the four year mark and going strong.

Good luck to all who are still struggling.
:clap: congrats all!

8.5 years here! ...and working on 9th month without alcohol. t'was easier to quit smoking after 15 years. :O

Throttle Therapy has been my best deterrent when the URGE to becomes strong

·
Registered
20,979 Posts
I stopped about january 2010, had the odd few every once in a blue moon but haven't had one since 3rd december 2013. All in all I'm clean as a whistle. I haven't stopped having a beer except I haven't drunk any alcohol since the same date above as I simply can't afford it and have more pressing matters now that I'm living in sweden trying to get joint custody of my son.

Stick at it people !!!!:thumb:

·
Registered
503 Posts
Has anyone tried any of the prescription items?
Hi Itsalright, firstly sorry for the delay in response, been doing other things :)
I have tried a couple of things, with varying degrees success.

I tried a drug called Xyban [in Australia] quite a lot of years ago. Xyban is a drug normally used to treat some sort of mental illness. Quite by accident they observed that patients who were given Xyban stopped smoking. So they started prescribing it as a stop-smoking drug. I took the drug for three days, after which time the left hemisphere of my brain got hot and began to bubble against the inside of my cranium. I am assured that this could not in fact have happened, but this was the perception caused by the drug. I also had aural hallucinations, specifically I was watching a magpie [a bird] which meowed at me. Suffice to say I stopped taking it pretty darn quick!

About five and a half years ago I tried another drug, Champix [in Australia]. This drug was not recommended for anyone suffering depression as it would deepen that effect. After numerous suicide attempts by people given the drug as a stop smoking aid doctors were told to advise smokers to be aware of their mental state and to ask people close to them to also be vigilant. I found the drug caused massive sleep disturbance, nightmares, and heart palpitations. I was able to take the drug for just long enough to achieve the desired effect. I haven't smoked since, largely because I feel that I have taken the last ditch effort and there is nothing else that I could try if this failed.

So, long story short, if you can quit using will power and nicotine patches that would be recommended.

I wish you all the luck in the world. Stay strong.

61 - 80 of 102 Posts