Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting :censored: hacked off about this now.. :mad:

I try to leave a decent stopping distance in front of me all the time, more when the road conditions are wet obviously, but I'm noticing more and more that car drivers see the gap I'm leaving as a reason to overtake me and to get in there at any cost.. I've recently had several car drivers do dodgy overtakes just to get one vehicle ahead on their way to wherever :mad: and it's really starting to :censored: me off now.. :mad:

WTF is wrong with people??

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Thats going to happen a lot.
Best bet is to just keep calm about it.
If you let it get to you, you might start making bad choices.

Relax, enjoy the ride and dont let things you cant control (like the idiots out there) get to you!

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
I'm getting :censored: hacked off about this now.. :mad:

I try to leave a decent stopping distance in front of me all the time, more when the road conditions are wet obviously, but I'm noticing more and more that car drivers see the gap I'm leaving as a reason to overtake me and to get in there at any cost.. I've recently had several car drivers do dodgy overtakes just to get one vehicle ahead on their way to wherever :mad: and it's really starting to :censored: me off now.. :mad:

WTF is wrong with people??
Happens regularly. I particularly feel for truck drivers that have to leave a gap that is constantly being filled by idiot drivers.
It doesn't usually bother me at all and I'll even make gaps to let other vehicles in. Being on two wheels allows me to get through the traffic so easily anyway. I figure I'm on a bike so I'm already having a better day than the poor suckers trapped in their cages so why not give them a break :)
And it all helps to make people realise bikers aren't the scumbags some other riders make us out to be.

Reactions: r3ck0n1n8

·
Registered
20,980 Posts
Thats going to happen a lot.
Best bet is to just keep calm about it.
If you let it get to you, you might start making bad choices.

Relax, enjoy the ride and dont let things you cant control (like the idiots out there) get to you!
:plus1:
Happens regularly. I particularly feel for truck drivers that have to leave a gap that is constantly being filled by idiot drivers.
It doesn't usually bother me at all and I'll even make gaps to let other vehicles in. Being on two wheels allows me to get through the traffic so easily anyway. I figure I'm on a bike so I'm already having a better day than the poor suckers trapped in their cages so why not give them a break :)
And it all helps to make people realise bikers aren't the scumbags some other riders make us out to be.
:plus1:You have to just sit back and enjoy what you have...a BIKE!!! Cagers will never get what it means to have what we all have as bikers and that is the feeling of ...FREEDOM !!!! I wouldn't swap it for the world, you're a good, sensible rider Loops, don't let em get to you hun, enjoy what you have....and remember those special 'hand-signals':smilebig::smilebig::D

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
i just nod my head and like bladeracer, it goes to show we are not those idiots they think we are "riding them Crotch rockets"......i feel you loopster:rant:

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
It's something that 'hacks' me off too, although I have to say it doesn't seem to happen to me that often when I'm on the bike - on what type of roads do you find this happening?

Most drivers have no regard for stopping distances, especially in the wet - if you leave the 'proper' gap then someone will fill it. And when you drop back again, the same happens.....

I try to leave a reasonable gap, but not enough for cars to consider it an invitation to pull in front. I also look ahead as far as possible to try and anticipate traffic slowing down - too many drivers look no further than the tail lights of the car in front. Often I find myself slowing down / braking long before a good few of the cars in front!

·
Registered
737 Posts
I've taken off side mirrors for less .... I'm just sayin though!

·
Registered
21,175 Posts
I tend to sit behind the offside rear light of the car/vehicle for a couple of reasons.

1) Vehicle tracks usually clean the road in front of you
2) In wet conditions if I have to brake suddenly or car does, I have the ability to slip past the vehicle.
3) makes it a little harder for a car to decide weather or not he can slip into said space.
4) On rural roads this also means that I steer clear of holes and puddles at the side of the road.
5) It also means that I get a better view of the oncoming traffic and also the vehicles ahead of the immediate one.

Not saying this is "how" it should be done just my way

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Loops, I for one pay A LOT more attention over that sort of thing now. I think people in the UK just don't have much sense of ( - just don't have much sense full stop) braking distances as we don't really have the sort of MAJOR BADASS snowstorms regularly that will really "teach people a lesson".

Some years ago (about 2003) I was on my way home after work in the car in a snowstorm. Usually I would take the country roads but that night I realised that chances are I would be stuck behijnd accidents, as people still drove bumper to bumper, so I too the A roads thinking that at least if collisions were to occur, theoretically the emergency services would be able to get to us more quickly. Needless to say it was chock-ablock on the A1, and people drove bumper to bumper and there were many collisions. I took it slow and let people in whenever they want to cut in, thinking that my braking distance was an invitation. I don't think any of them actually crashed that night whilst in front of me, but the way they drive, it's a matter of when, not if.

So - be proud that you're a sensible, safe, knowledgeable road user. ;)

I tend to sit behind the offside rear light of the car/vehicle....
Sorry if I am misunderstanding you Setanta, but do you mean driver side or shotgun side? If you meant shotgun, would you not be putting yourself close to the blindspot of the (occasionally even more blind) driver?? Confused. :idunno:

·
Registered
21,175 Posts
Sorry if I am misunderstanding you Setanta, but do you mean driver side or shotgun side? If you meant shotgun, would you not be putting yourself close to the blindspot of the (occasionally even more blind) driver?? Confused. :idunno:

Offside means driver side, furtherest away from the pavement :thumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts