Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, if yall want to know the story, it was 1:10pm, I was leaving the tight twisties, (the ones past the rockstore on your lefthand side when you're coming up from los virgines) So me and my friend was cruising down from moholland, entering the twisties. He went ahead of me, so I lost site of him. I was crusing down hill, going around 30mph, not that fast. I was about to enter a lefty downhill curve, so I do the usual, Shift my ass cheeks to the left, drop the left elbow, and hang the curve in the middle of the lane, and then go towards the double yellow to follow the racing line. All of a SUDDEN!!!!.......................out of no where.........I was leaned into my turn, when I look straight ahead of me, and I see a black RR just like mine, it was like a mirror reflection.....by that I mean, he was right head to head with me...Holy crap, scared the shit outta me, we were head to head, his bike was right on the double yellow lines as well! I knew if i kept following the line that I was in, i't'll be a head on collosion for sure........I paniked, froze, STOMPED on my rear break, squeezed the shit outta my front break, BIKE straighted up soooo fast... THEN!!!!-LOWSIDED the direction tha I was going, oversteering into the right shoulder/ dirt patch next to a hill. My bike was all scratched up from the small rocks and pebbles, my jeans were ripped, my shirt was ripped. I was wearing an alpinestars leather jacket, blue silvertab jeans, and a black wifebeater underneath. i ended up going straight into the hillside, my bike looks pretty banged up. I ended up with hella roadrash on my left shin, and a swollen ass calf. I got home took a shower, then realized that my calf was getting more swollen, just got back from UCLA ER to get it x-rayed, everything is okay, but they're worried it might be a compartment fracture, where the swelling of the blood in the calf might cut blood supply to the nerves , but they said its cool, just gotta keep it iced and elevated. I'm okay, but my bike needs some repair, got some cool crutches to walk on until the pain goes away in my left calf. All that weight of the bike landed on my left calf.........IS THERE ANYTHING I COULD HAVE DONE TO AVOID WHAT HAPPENED? wanna hear something crazy, i actually had a dream of what happened the night before, that morning i was like, I HAVE TO RIDE MORE CAREFULL TODAY!!!!!

·
Registered
12,126 Posts
azn9imp said:
Shift my ass cheeks to the left, drop the left elbow, and hang the curve in the middle of the lane, and then go towards the double yellow to follow the racing line..........IS THERE ANYTHING I COULD HAVE DONE TO AVOID WHAT HAPPENED?
To answer your question, yes, take it to the track. That kind of riding shouldn't be on the street.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I dont believe riding 30mph in a curve is too aggressive for street riding, at least for a responsible/knowledgable rider. It sounds like the guy (poor 600rr :crying: ) should be practicing emergency maneuvers before he learns how to best attack a curve. He has learned a hard lesson and hopefully uses his accident to benefit future riding style.

To answer his question - a little bit of body shifting and looking thru the turn would have prevented his mishap (or so it seems).

·
Registered
929 Posts
ConqSoft said:
If he's hanging over the double yellow, he's riding too aggresively. Pretend the line is a 15ft brick wall and you should be fine.

Kookie, you for one should know what happens when you get too close to the yellow line.
:rotfl:

Thats true. In defense I have to say...mine was wet (even worse that I attempted the curve too fast). I learned quit a few lessons that day, so I dont regret the experience - just wish I could have learned it differently. ;)

I suppose I didnt read his post as 'hanging OVER the yellow line', just as he was riding towards it (hitting the apex). :idunno: Without a video it is hard to say, but it sounds like he was riding 'over his head', regardless of the details. It would be nice if the painted lines were 'brick walls', however they are more like lines of petroleum grease...always ready to suck you in and throw you on your a$$.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Pete said:
A phucking RACING line?!?!?! On the street?!?!?! Someone needs their head examined, and seriously altered.
As I stated in my other post, I believe his words are a bit deficient and he actually means ' following a line to properly hit the apex'. :idunno:

·
Registered
463 Posts
Back off from that yellow line. You never know when a car could be over it, always give enough space so that you feel comfortable that unless someone is actually in your lane, they won't be able to clip you. Touching or crossing the yellow line is a BIG :nono: Sorry about your bike though, I hope it is all fixable and ready to ride within the next few weeks.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
On a right hander (if you are in the USA) you should be almost on the yellow line. On a left hander you should be riding in the gutter (almost). You do this to maximise you forward observation. you will then be an ideal place to see the black CBR coming towards you doing everything just right.

·
Registered
728 Posts
soon2b954 said:
When my riding in the twisties I find a lot of cagers tend to cut the corner (cross the yellow line) at the apex, I guess it takes too much effort to turn the wheel and follow through the turn!! :rolleyes:
This is very true and I find it is usually pickup trucks. I avoid the center line as much as possible because of these idiots.

·
Registered
14,390 Posts
Kookie said:
I dont believe riding 30mph in a curve is too aggressive for street riding, at least for a responsible/knowledgable rider.
Maybe in your neck of the woods but out here we have plenty of corners that you could call 30MPH aggressive in.

·
Registered
929 Posts
luvtolean said:
Maybe in your neck of the woods but out here we have plenty of corners that you could call 30MPH aggressive in.
That reply was not meant to cover the gamut of corners throughout the US, it was meant in response to the photo within this Thread. We have some nice corners that double-back onto themselves and constitute to be a 15mph curve (driven in a street manner).

·
Registered
233 Posts
azn9imp said:
I was wearing an alpinestars leather jacket, blue silvertab jeans, and a black wifebeater underneath. [/IMG]
He said wifebeater.

S

·
0 Posts
azn9imp said:
well, if yall want to know the story, it was 1:10pm, I was leaving the tight twisties, (the ones past the rockstore on your lefthand side when you're coming up from los virgines) So me and my friend was cruising down from moholland, entering the twisties. He went ahead of me, so I lost site of him. I was crusing down hill, going around 30mph, not that fast. I was about to enter a lefty downhill curve, so I do the usual, Shift my ass cheeks to the left, drop the left elbow, and hang the curve in the middle of the lane, and then go towards the double yellow to follow the racing line. All of a SUDDEN!!!!.......................out of no where.........I was leaned into my turn, when I look straight ahead of me, and I see a black RR just like mine, it was like a mirror reflection.....by that I mean, he was right head to head with me...Holy crap, scared the shit outta me, we were head to head, his bike was right on the double yellow lines as well! I knew if i kept following the line that I was in, i't'll be a head on collosion for sure........I paniked, froze, STOMPED on my rear break, squeezed the shit outta my front break, BIKE straighted up soooo fast... THEN!!!!-LOWSIDED the direction tha I was going, oversteering into the right shoulder/ dirt patch next to a hill. My bike was all scratched up from the small rocks and pebbles, my jeans were ripped, my shirt was ripped. I was wearing an alpinestars leather jacket, blue silvertab jeans, and a black wifebeater underneath. i ended up going straight into the hillside, my bike looks pretty banged up. I ended up with hella roadrash on my left shin, and a swollen ass calf. I got home took a shower, then realized that my calf was getting more swollen, just got back from UCLA ER to get it x-rayed, everything is okay, but they're worried it might be a compartment fracture, where the swelling of the blood in the calf might cut blood supply to the nerves , but they said its cool, just gotta keep it iced and elevated. I'm okay, but my bike needs some repair, got some cool crutches to walk on until the pain goes away in my left calf. All that weight of the bike landed on my left calf.........IS THERE ANYTHING I COULD HAVE DONE TO AVOID WHAT HAPPENED? wanna hear something crazy, i actually had a dream of what happened the night before, that morning i was like, I HAVE TO RIDE MORE CAREFULL TODAY!!!!!

Sounds like you were waaay over your head. You should always be able to change your line incase someone else invades your space, or there is something in the road you need to avoid.

If you can get a Tuesday to ride after you are all fixed up, contact me for a free school day on Palomar with the boys. We aren't know-it-alls, but we usually can help you have a great time while learning how to ride safe & smooth. GET WELL SOON :) .

SPEED.

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
SPEED said:
We aren't know-it-alls, but we usually can help you have a great time while learning how to ride safe & smooth. GET WELL SOON :) .
SPEED.
Wish you lived closer to Tucson - God knows, I need a good mentor after 41 years of ingrained bad habits. And from the sounds of the feedback from the Grattan mob, you would be a good one! :thumb:

S

·
0 Posts
Bacchus said:
Wish you lived closer to Tucson - God knows, I need a good mentor after 41 years of ingrained bad habits. And from the sounds of the feedback from the Grattan mob, you would be a good one! :thumb:
That's very gracious of you Sir :cool: .

When I was looking for someone to take the time to show me how to ride right, they were never around, or willing usually. I asked all the time if good riders & racers would follow me and tell me what I needed to work on....most of the time I got........ :idunno: :huh: :rolleyes: . After awhile, I just made it a point to be the best student I could be by getting as close to great riders as possible. Even closely watching the pros to see how they enter & exit turns, and carefully scrutinizing their body positions. I found that they are all a little different, but that I really loved E-Boz's style, and have fashioned my style similar to his (if that's possible). Have you ever noticed that E-boz hangs off more as he get's into a corner, and coming out while letting the bike move upright upon exiting while smoothly rolling on the throttle? I was watching the young racer (boo) working that style like a pro at Grattan....sweet!

There are so many better riders than I, but I decided that I would always offer to share what little knowledge I've learned over the years with anybody that is willing, so that they may become the best riders they can be without having to learn the hard way.

I met a young man by the name of tyler about a year ago. Tyler was the typical hot shot newbie. He was on an F4i and wanted to ride the hill with me one day. We got there, and I said I'll follow you, and to pretend I'm not there. He was going at a pretty decent clip with bad lines, form, and scraping his pegs often :shocked: . Needles to say he scared the crap out of me quite a bit. When we were at the top of the hill, we stopped to talk about the trip up. He was all ecstatic about how fast he was going and that scraping the pegs was awesome. I said "You scared the heck out of me, and I thought you were going ot go down for sure!" He couldn't believe I said that since he was having the best time of his life. I said let's go down, and then I'll lead back up. More scary riding from him :crap: . I asked him if he was ready to see how much more fun he could be having if he was riding right, and he kinda laughed at me ;) . I told him to ride his own ride, and not to try to keep up with me. After he agreed, I said let's rock! I took off around the first corner, and looked back to see him barely getting around it, then let it rip, and lost him quickly. I got up to the top, and came back down before he could get all the way up. After he made it back down, he realized that he had much room for improvement, and agreed to let me mentor him every Tuesday, and it still continues to this day. Tyler has become one of the smoothest riders around, has done several track days, and won't ride without full gear. He has also mentored several people, and is learning that the responsibilities of a leader are huge.

It's been awesome watching Tyler grow as a rider and mentor to others....that is what it's all about for me!

I hope more & more people will take the time to take someone under their wing so that we all don't have to learn it all the hard way.

Anyone in So Cal that wants to hook up for some great fun, and schooling, please feel free to contact me.

SPEED.

A pic of Tyler....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts