Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on my blackberry right now, 40 miles from home.
Thanks again to all who helped me find that all the sputtering throttle and lcd shutting off issues I posted about yesterday was just a loose negative battery lead.
To celebrate the bike working properly again I went on the ride I had planned to so last ties but has to cancel becauasw of thw aforementioned problem.
Bike has run perfectly smooth this while 40 miles today. I pulled over to side of the road to mess qirh my ipod, the idle was smooth and I sat there for a few minutes. Them out of nowhere it juat shut off -motor died. Confused, I turned the key to off them back on and the fuel pump didn't make a sound. Everything else is normal, the gauges are lit, etc. The battery has plenty of juice to to crank the starter.
I took the seat off and checked the fuses by the batt and all are ok. What so I so?

Any suggestions helpful. I'm sitting here with a pocketknife for a tool and don't know what to check.

-Ryan

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
wow, sorry dude.

My only guess is this; the ground of the fuel pump is lose.

Its under the tank, right by the servo.

·
Premium Member
9,082 Posts
:hmm: ....probley a stupid question>>

is there fuel in it?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got gas before leaving lol. Besides that wouldn't stop the pump from priming.
Kill swich doesn't make sense - that switch won't let the starter turn over, but my bike will crank no problem, just doesn't have fuel cuz no pump...?

·
Registered
213 Posts
sometimes bike problems make no sense, you say you checked fuses, the only other thing you could check is the fuel relay??, might be worth checking that?..

·
Premium Member
9,082 Posts
I just got gas before leaving lol. Besides that wouldn't stop the pump from priming.
Kill swich doesn't make sense - that switch won't let the starter turn over, but my bike will crank no problem, just doesn't have fuel cuz no pump...?
:Dhad to ask.... simplest things get overlooked:thumb:.......

wow, sorry dude.

My only guess is this; the ground of the fuel pump is lose.

Its under the tank, right by the servo.
think BurtonF166 has a good point if everything but the pump is working.... gotta be wortha quick poke around...

:hmm: dunno if you can reach it without tools tho

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Been searching the forum for similar problems. I considered trying to lift the tank but without tools can't. My girlfiend is on the way to my rescue with my tools. Will have to wait for her. Planning to lift tank and poke around, see of anything is loose. Just so odd that it just went from running 100% to off instantly. Where is the fuel cut off relay on the 929? I should try to check that..

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
The relay is tucked in behind the ecm. When you lift the tank, youll be able to see it in the open. Its a 4P connector.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok. Any idea what wires to check on the relay to see if it is passing voltage thru it or whatever? I will have a multimeter soon. Hard to search the net for wiring schematic on blackberry.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Get two wires, connect one to the + and one to - on the battery, remove the connector, and try connecting them to the relay (Black/White-Brown ). If it clicks, its good.**

If it clicks, remove jumper wires, turn the ignition on, killswitch in 'off', attach voltmeter to 4P connector (not sure which color wires, sorry) and turn killswitch on to see if voltage is getting to it.

** im not 100% on the colors so if it doesnt, try around before assuming its bad.

·
Registered
940 Posts
check the connection to the fuel pump and make sure its connected this happend to me its a green with a brown wire i think just wiggle it around and try to start it up hope it helps :]

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I can't believe I just left my baby at a gas station.
My gf is driving me home right now. I lifted the tank, the ground for the pump is good. I found the fuel cuttoff relay. Unplugged the relay and tried jumping it to the batt and couldn't get it to click. I figured this meant it was bad. But, to try more things I jumped the battery to the connector and the pump would whir continuously while connected that way. I had an idea - since that relay looks identical to the relay that is behind the instrument cluster I unplugged that one and plugged it in in place of the fuel cutoff relay. I thought this would be brilliant but switched the key on and still nothing. Maybe though they look identical, the internals of the relays are different? This made .e think though that maybe the relay was ok, I just couldn't get it to click by jumping it to the batt due to doing it wrong or something.. So, I tried the multimeter on the harness that plugs into the fuel cutoff relay. With key on I couldn't find voltage on 3 of the wires and in the fourth it would sit at 0.2v and if I pressed the starter it would jump up in voltage while the bike was cranking. I don't know what to make of all this.

How does one even get a stranded bike home? Can tow trucks transport bikes?? Mine is like 40 miles from home. That's going to cost a fortune. I'm sure I need special equipment to mount a bike in the bed of a truck yes? I do have some tie-down straps but I don't know how well that would work... my buddy has a truck though.. but I also have no ramps.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated at this point.

-Ryan

·
Registered
940 Posts
ok you and ur budy get in the truck and go get ur bike with some straps lift it in to the truck and tie down to the tripple tree then come home :]

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok you and ur budy get in the truck and go get ur bike with some straps lift it in to the truck and tie down to the tripple tree then come home :]
Ok. Just called him, we are gonna go up there and get it with his truck. I've never done this, hope I don't F up the bike with the tie downs.

I found this thread: http://www.fireblades.org/forums/honda-fireblade/77050-bank-angle-sensor-fuel-pump-not-priming.html
It has a very in-depth excerpt from the service manual on how to test this stuff so I just wanna get this thing home so I can figure this out.

Then again, another part of me wants to push the bike off a cliff and collect insurance for a down payment on a 09' 1000RR... but aside from illegal, I'm attached to this blade..

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Hope the straps worked out, every bike ive bought has been brought home by the truck strap method:)

Keep checking the relay, it'd be strange for it to suddenly go bad.

Good news: your pump works!! That is an expensive fix if it didnt

·
Registered
663 Posts
if its the bank angle sensor...cut the wires and splice the red and green to gether, let the white alone. Then remove your seat(rider) there is a red wire, with a red clip by the battery..make sure its together(this happened to me once) it comes apart rather easy. If not these things..check on/off switch..fuel pump then ECU.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got the bike home just fine last night. The straps worked like a charm, so now I'm very relieved to have the bike safe at home where I can work on it when I have time. I will be getting back to you all as soon as I dig into it some more. Thanks again for so much help so far.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts