Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an odd problem with brakes that hopefully someone here will have some insight into.

I have an '83 Goldwing Interstate with about 70000 miles on it. In the last month or two, I've noticed something unusual with my rear brake.

At times, it seems like there is NO rear brake....pedal goes down all the way, but no effect at all. Other times, the pedal is as hard as a rock, and it feels (from the way the engine is lugging) that the brakes are actually dragging a bit. This condition only lasts a few minutes, and then goes away.

I dont know where to start looking....anyone have any suggestions????:idunno:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi there!

If the bike has done a fair amount of miles it is worth checking there is plenty of brake fluid present? The line could possibly need bleeding, as there could be air bubbles present.

I would check and make sure all mechanics of the rear brake ie. spring, bolts etc are well lubricated and nothing is catching etc.

Good luck, keep us posted!

·
Registered
7,455 Posts
When was the last time your brakes had any service? Sounds like air bubbles in the line. Brake fluid is hydrophilic, meaning it absorbs water or condensation. Hence it's 'wet' boiling point. If your fluid is getting a little old- like more than a couple years or 15-20K miles- it's possible that air is in the lines even if nothing has been touched.
I would recommend flushing the fluid in your brake system and see if that resolves the problem.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
When was the last time your brakes had any service? Sounds like air bubbles in the line. Brake fluid is hydrophilic, meaning it absorbs water or condensation. Hence it's 'wet' boiling point. If your fluid is getting a little old- like more than a couple years or 15-20K miles- it's possible that air is in the lines even if nothing has been touched.
I would recommend flushing the fluid in your brake system and see if that resolves the problem.
:plus1:

What he said!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts