Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I'm new to the community (and a new bike owner) and I'm concerned about a noise coming from the front end of my 2001 CBR600 F4i. It's a grinding/whirring/rattling (very hard to describe) coming from a spot that seems to be just below and in front of the gas tank. It starts after the bike has warmed up, OR if i half-shift instead of shifting cleanly into 3rd. Once the engine starts making this noise it makes it in almost any gear over 3,500 RPM (engine noise drowns it out around 7,500 RPM).. If i stay in 1st/2nd i don't notice the noise until my engine is around 200-220 degrees. Any insights??

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Hello all! I'm new to the community (and a new bike owner) and I'm concerned about a noise coming from the front end of my 2001 CBR600 F4i. It's a grinding/whirring/rattling (very hard to describe) coming from a spot that seems to be just below and in front of the gas tank. It starts after the bike has warmed up, OR if i half-shift instead of shifting cleanly into 3rd. Once the engine starts making this noise it makes it in almost any gear over 3,500 RPM (engine noise drowns it out around 7,500 RPM).. If i stay in 1st/2nd i don't notice the noise until my engine is around 200-220 degrees. Any insights??

Key tag perhaps?
Does it change with engine speed, road speed, or just stays the same?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It gets louder with engine speed up to a point. from not noticeable, to faint at about 3,000, and then to a point where its extremely noticeable & scary loud from 5,000 - 6,000. Its also more noticeable when I roll off throttle and the engine starts braking

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
It gets louder with engine speed up to a point. from not noticeable, to faint at about 3,000, and then to a point where its extremely noticeable & scary loud from 5,000 - 6,000. Its also more noticeable when I roll off throttle and the engine starts braking

Has a hose come off the PAIR valve perhaps?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't believe so, though i could be wrong. I haven't had a peak into the engine yet. I've heard that these bikes chew through cam chain tensioners, but most of those people are saying they only hear the sounds when the bike is cold.. and my problem seems to be the same exact sound at the exact opposite temperature

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been throwing in the 14$-a-quart "good stuff". Would getting an oil change potentially fix this rattle without messing with a sticky CCT?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I've been throwing in the 14$-a-quart "good stuff". Would getting an oil change potentially fix this rattle without messing with a sticky CCT?
Well, I was just asking about the oil quality and level, because the CCT is hydraulic, and relies on oil pressure to provide proper tension, so, it could be a factor... that is, if the noise you're hearing is indeed the rattle of a loose cam chain.

Anyway, if it comes to replacing the part, swapping out a CCT is monkey business... it's super easy. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Properly functioning CCT will normally make noise at idle with no load, but disappears as soon as the bike is given some throttle as it then goes under tension. A bad CCT will normally have a lot of noise at idle, and get worse with acceleration as the chain flails around without proper tension on it. Definitely worth a look, and as JNS stated, very easy parts to switch out. Make sure to pick up a manual for your bike!! I can never stress enough how helpful these are, and they include some troubleshooting sections as well.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Properly functioning CCT will normally make noise at idle with no load, but disappears as soon as the bike is given some throttle as it then goes under tension. A bad CCT will normally have a lot of noise at idle, and get worse with acceleration as the chain flails around without proper tension on it. Definitely worth a look, and as JNS stated, very easy parts to switch out. Make sure to pick up a manual for your bike!! I can never stress enough how helpful these are, and they include some troubleshooting sections as well.

A good CCT will not make any noise as it will always be under compression. It moves out in small increments under spring pressure as the chain wears, but it never moves back in unless the ratchet fails.
When the ratchet does fail you will hear the noises you describe.

·
Premium Member
32,034 Posts
Well, I was just asking about the oil quality and level, because the CCT is hydraulic, and relies on oil pressure to provide proper tension, so, it could be a factor... that is, if the noise you're hearing is indeed the rattle of a loose cam chain.

Anyway, if it comes to replacing the part, swapping out a CCT is monkey business... it's super easy. :thumb:

Oil pressure will not affect it.
Only the F1 was hydraulic as far as I'm aware, all the other CBR600F/RR's are sping-operated tensioners.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just a Whim - I recently had a strange grinding/rattling in my 00 929 which was very faint while idling but increased with RPM. I thought it was my CCT because they are such a common problem and I thought the noise was coming from that side. I replaced the CCT and noise was still present. Ended up being one of the four bolts that fasten the stator to the cover that rattled loose and was grinding against the cast crank end.

In general, noises can come from completely different spots then where they seem even if you're using a good scope. So id check out some stuff before blowing 120 quid on new CCT.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you confirm it was a cam chain tesiomer in the end? This exact thing is happening now with my cbr600rr. Just want to find out what it is.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts