Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've just done a track day on my new stead,I put on a set of Super Corsa's the week before and scrubbed them in on a road ride.
At the track I dropped the pressures to 34 rear 30 front and they felt great even though the track was dusty and slippery but this wear seems wrong.
Have I over heated them or is it a suspension issue?
The front grained really nicely but the rear looks strange.
Any advice would be great. :idunno:

·
Registered
56 Posts
the look fine to me, I would maybe drop the rear pressure a few lbs, if you overheat them you will see it in the rubber, heat cycles show themselves as purple/blue coloration on the rubber. what type of asphalt are you riding on? is it smooth? or is it coarse? looking at the tire, I would say its older asphalt with some nice high speed left hand sweepers and not as many right turns. but it looks like they are doing what they are supposed to.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
pressure sounds weird to me for that tire, but it's been a while since I ran it...

is your suspension setup for your weight? Good sag? Looks like some damping adjustments would be in your future too...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the look fine to me, I would maybe drop the rear pressure a few lbs, if you overheat them you will see it in the rubber, heat cycles show themselves as purple/blue coloration on the rubber. what type of asphalt are you riding on? is it smooth? or is it coarse? looking at the tire, I would say its older asphalt with some nice high speed left hand sweepers and not as many right turns. but it looks like they are doing what they are supposed to.
The track was resurfaced a year ago and is smooth hotmix asphalt,yeah there was only one real right hander so was hard to keep heat in that side of the tyre.
I expected more of a balling wear,I've only ever used powers or sports on a track before(on my 929) and they had balls of rubber at the edge of the tyre after a session.
Will try lower pressures at the next one in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
pressure sounds weird to me for that tire, but it's been a while since I ran it...

is your suspension setup for your weight? Good sag? Looks like some damping adjustments would be in your future too...
Was a hot day so I ran the pressures I did with my powers.
Yep my sag is all set for me,I did up the reb and comp after a couple of sessions but tyre still did the same thing,maybe too much grip for the stock shock?

·
Registered
731 Posts
I also have had problems with Pirelli, mine were directly related to the front fork springs being way too stiff for my weight. The tire pressure sounds a bit high to me. I ran 28/28 I believe. I am positive that it was not higher than 30, it has been a couple of years since I ran them. Buy Michelin, you won't have this problem :D

·
Registered
10,531 Posts
The SuperCorsas and SuperCorsa Pros have worked flawlessly for me.
But your rear pressure is way too high. Even for an extremely hot track.
Try 29 in the front and 28 in the rear as a starting point.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The SuperCorsas and SuperCorsa Pros have worked flawlessly for me.
But your rear pressure is way too high. Even for an extremely hot track.
Try 29 in the front and 28 in the rear as a starting point.
Just checked the pressures again with a better guage and the rear has 30psi and the front is 27,the track day was only yesterday so the pressures shouldn't have changed much.
I'm starting to wonder if it may be more shock related as the front has really nice looking wear.:idunno:

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Was a hot day so I ran the pressures I did with my powers.
Yep my sag is all set for me,I did up the reb and comp after a couple of sessions but tyre still did the same thing,maybe too much grip for the stock shock?
Yeah, I bet you are out of the range of adjustability on the stock shock. I've seen RC51s do murder on a rear supercorsa in 2 sessions with stock stuff and work miraculously well with an ohlins/penske setup.

It's definitly a mixture of suspension settings and tire pressure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts