Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently bought a Strapless Transport Stand and finally had a chance to install it. It's a pretty simple concept that lets you transport your bike without the need of tiedowns, Canyon Dancers, or chocks. The stand is removable and installation was a breeze. To load your bike, you install the support rod through the hollow axle, and back the bike onto the stand. There a two locking bars that fit down over the rod and keep the bike secured. The setup isn't cheap, but the ease of loading and transporting my bike makes it worth every penny...

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Nice pics... :thumb:

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Baketech said:
Nice pics... :thumb:
Thanks. I won't tell you how many pics I took to get shots worth posting! :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Red Rider said:
Thanks. I won't tell you how many pics I took to get shots worth posting! :rolleyes: :D
How does it clip to those rails that are bolted down?

·
Registered
216 Posts
No offense Red, while your pics are nice. I think this one is a MUCH better picture. You see how the photographer caught the light angle to emphasize the stand.

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Baketech said:
How does it clip to those rails that are bolted down?
The bottom of the stand has tabs that locate into machined slots in the mounting plates (rails).

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
ibAdam said:
No offense Red, while your pics are nice. I think this one is a MUCH better picture. You see how the photographer caught the light angle to emphasize the stand.
:rotfl: I tried to get my wife to pose for the pics (and before anyone asks..my daughter is still away at school)! :D

·
Registered
16,568 Posts
Do you still put the front wheel in a chock or does it just stay loose? I would think that should at least be secured so your bars don't flop around :idunno:

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ND4SPD said:
I'm willing to wait :popcorn:

:poke:
You'll be old and gray... :moon:

No chock is needed. The weight of the bike on the front wheel (just like when using a rear stand) should be enough to keep it from flopping around...I hope. I haven't had a chance to tow the trailer yet to test it out.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Interesting device. Let us know how it works over the long run.

At least ibAdam satisfied my craving for something related to the thread title! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,302 Posts
I too am curious to see how it works over the long haul (yes, a pun). I have always liked straps because they are flexible and dynamic to the load on them, but also hate the hassle as stated.

I would think something so rigid would need a larger area to disperse load onto, do you have any reinforcement below the floor?

I'd also still be strapping down the front, who knows what goes on back there while bumping around.

·
Registered
551 Posts
So do you need someone to load your bike using the "Strapless Transport Stand"? I figure someone needs to roll the bike back and keep it upright while some locks it down to the stand itself.

·
Registered
8,271 Posts
Red Rider said:
You'll be old and gray... :moon:

No chock is needed. The weight of the bike on the front wheel (just like when using a rear stand) should be enough to keep it from flopping around...I hope. I haven't had a chance to tow the trailer yet to test it out.
I don't know. After seeing the carnage from a few Michigan bumps to the load in my trailers, I wouldn't trust something that doesn't have both pull and yield. Also, what would a good sideways yank at 75 mph (think Peterbuilt 367 running doubles going by at around 90) do to the rear axle?

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
abtech said:
I don't know. After seeing the carnage from a few Michigan bumps to the load in my trailers, I wouldn't trust something that doesn't have both pull and yield. Also, what would a good sideways yank at 75 mph (think Peterbuilt 367 running doubles going by at around 90) do to the rear axle?
Good question. :idunno: I'll probably use some tiedowns the first trip or two to play it safe and see how it rides. I think I might install my helmetcam in the trailer so I can watch what's happening from the car.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Red Rider said:
I recently bought a Strapless Transport Stand and finally had a chance to install it.
I like it because the suspension stays unloaded. Although I would use a chock or a strap on the front. It is very nice R R. :thumb:

·
Administrator
8,596 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
EDDIE110171 said:
I like it because the suspension stays unloaded. Although I would use a chock or a strap on the front. It is very nice R R. :thumb:
Thanks...that's what I liked about it, too.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
according to GMD, if you aren't strapping your bike down taught, when you tow 1000 miles, you are putting 1000 miles on your fork/shock oil. :idunno:

Also news to me was how easy it is to torque your triples by just tying your bike down. :(

1 - 20 of 38 Posts