Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to convert an "off road only" XR650R to street legal. I initially thought that I would just get one of the all inclusive kits from Baja Designs or Dakar Sport. I just wasn't sold on the overall looks of either of them and thought things like, "well I like that headlight, and that other tailight, but I like those turn signals..."

I finally stumbled across this after a lot of searching: wirediagram
DSA Wire Harness with Key Switch

It is an all inclusive wiring harness that is made in America with mil spec connectors. You can get it packaged with a variety of options. So now I'm going to match the Acerbis headlight that I like with the Baja Designs LED tailight and a different set of turn signals that I prefer. I'm going to get the wiring harness option with the flasher, horn, and handlbar switch already included and wired in. I'll wire the stator output to a regulator/rectifier, then the reg/rec to a battery, then connect the wiring harness to the battery so that the bike is running completely off of 12V DC. The total cost of the harness, headlight, turn signals, reg/rec, and battery adds up to less than the cost of the Baja Designs kit.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm actually still trying to decide between the Black Mamba and the Acerbis Cyclops. The Black Mamba is very close to being a direct copy of the Acerbis Diamond that they don't make anymore. I like the asymmetry of the Cyclops and the fact that it is actually DOT certified which could potentially be one less headache.

But...the Black Mamba is about $40 less.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
Saves ton of weight on the DRZ also, the stock setup is very heavy and you need to drop the forks to get the whole thing off.

·
Registered
391 Posts
slick... did you decide what headlight you was going to get? i know we have the black mamba headlights in stock, and they now come with the option of upgrading the headlights to bulbs with more output

1 - 7 of 7 Posts