Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, just curious about what you run in the rain.
Do any of you run street tires by any chance?
I run race DOT's and will eventually be looking for a rain setup.

I figure with street tires being designed to operate at lower temps and having more siping (particularly something like the pilot powers for example), they might do pretty well on a wet track.

Anyone have any experience/knowledge they'd like to share?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Hey guys, just curious about what you run in the rain.
Do any of you run street tires by any chance?
I run race DOT's and will eventually be looking for a rain setup.

I figure with street tires being designed to operate at lower temps and having more siping (particularly something like the pilot powers for example), they might do pretty well on a wet track.

Anyone have any experience/knowledge they'd like to share?

Personally, I prefer fresh slicks, unless it's _very_ heavy rain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY1upwN47a0&list=UUBCa3A1tuGbP4D43zl_YtFQ&index=2

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We rarely have really heavy rain. Light rain or just a wet track is the most we see. For when the track is soaked, you're still running slicks?

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
in portland, the 2 most rainy city in the usa! they don't stop the races because of rain! pretty much everone has race rain tires too!

·
Registered
3,890 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
I raced 5 weekends last yr in the rain....one of them was just above freezing, and a 3 hr endurance race. SOmetimes the rain was so brutal the people watching ran to their cars and got inside with headlights and wipers on just to watch us splash around.

Full rains, period.
I got stuck twice out there on Bridgestone DOT's and was absolutely annhialated by the guys who were quick enough to put their rains on. I managed to beat a couple guys on full slicks, but no dry tire is gonna touch a rain, even on a wet track with no standing water.

That being said, yes a good street tire will work better than a race DOT in the wet.

PS- That vid is cool, and shows some fantastic control..... but I am almost certain the rider on slicks who won, wasn't up against anyone on rains. The traction difference is a world apart

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
I raced 5 weekends last yr in the rain....one of them was just above freezing, and a 3 hr endurance race. SOmetimes the rain was so brutal the people watching ran to their cars and got inside with headlights and wipers on just to watch us splash around.

Full rains, period.
I got stuck twice out there on Bridgestone DOT's and was absolutely annhialated by the guys who were quick enough to put their rains on. I managed to beat a couple guys on full slicks, but no dry tire is gonna touch a rain, even on a wet track with no standing water.

That being said, yes a good street tire will work better than a race DOT in the wet.

PS- That vid is cool, and shows some fantastic control..... but I am almost certain the rider on slicks who won, wasn't up against anyone on rains. The traction difference is a world apart

Some were on full wets but most of the others were on Supersports DOT's, I _think_ Steve that I passed at the end was on slicks as well. Pretty sure Gav on the RC51 was on slicks also. I don't run tyre warmers either so the warm up lap has to be run hard.

·
Super Moderator
32,034 Posts
Well hot damn.......that was some extreme traction management my friend!

It was fun :)
On the first lap as we went up over the hill after the Esses a guy on a CBR600 (F2 I think) went full-lock sideways trying to come through on the inside of me :)

They had been forecasting rain for this coming weekend, but the latest forecasts have pushed the wet weather into next week. Looks like a dry race weekend :-(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts