Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm a moron and put a plug in cocked.. I have been having hard start issues with my bike for some time (2008 honda areo 750) and decided that before I spent another $200 at the dealer for them to tell me that nothing was wrong with it I would swap the plugs, and do whatever I could to diagnose the problem myself. Given I know little to nothing about engines I did the basics.. checked the battery cables.. walked though the manual and swapped out the plugs.. well.. one of my plugs somehow got twisted the 3rd time I put it back in and now the bike is a paperweight. I have to get it towed to a machine shop in the area but it's going to cost me an arm and leg.. anybody have any ideas? or a referral to a shop local to mission viejo, CA?

·
Registered
900 Posts
Re: Sripped plug

Not as bad as you think, drill plug hole, rethread it, an fit correct sized helcoil. job done:thumb:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

do I have to strip the bike down for that? I read somewhere that you have to make sure that no metal shavings get in the engine.. is it a really delicate process?

·
Registered
900 Posts

you will have to take the head off, i have seen lads push a rag down the plug hole, with piston just off top dead centre, then sucked the fillings out, but (a) its a risk
(b) you have to be able to get good access to the hole to drill straight.
But before you do any of this get some plasticine and carefully push it against the thread to see how bad the damage is. it might just need a thread cleaner on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

right on. thanks man.. yeah the thread is in pretty good condition it only had 1 hard rotation that is off track.. so maybe the cleaner and a little finessing might do the trick. Thanks again

·
Registered
900 Posts

Good luck....as you say a little finess , and patience. Take your time and all will come good. Dont forget to let us know how you get on...:)

·
Registered
1,836 Posts

right on. thanks man.. yeah the thread is in pretty good condition it only had 1 hard rotation that is off track.. so maybe the cleaner and a little finessing might do the trick. Thanks again
If you think the hole is only partly damaged then get a spark plug hole thread chaser to clean up the thread. It's basically a tap to clean up the hole. You'll have to purchase it at a specialty auto store and bring the spark plug with you for proper size. You will need some room to work directly above the hole. Be certain it is started correctly or it will do more harm than good.

Some debris will go inside but should blow out harmlessly on start up.

·
Registered
946 Posts

if you cant FIX the stock threads don't sweat it. I was of the same line of thought thinking you need to remove the head etc to fix it but apparently not. A while back I worked at a speed shop with an old guy that built no BS race cars for years who tought me something interesting. You may know they make special threadserts to fix plug holes. You drill out the hole tap it and thread in the threadsert (use green loctight). The cool part is you need not take the head off. Just make sure that cylinder is on the exhaust stroke, drill the hole out, thread it, insert new threaded sleve and then using compressed air blow all the shavings out the exhaust valve.

·
Registered
8 Posts

i was just wondering how you can tell the cylinder is in the exhaust stroke?.. Take off the valve cover and see what position the valve is in?..I have an 84 honda nighthawk 650.

·
Registered
946 Posts

Blow air into the exhaust and turn the engine till you hear it come out the plug hole or visa versa. You can also put a vacuum cleaner hose on the tail pipe and listen for the sucking sound . You can start by putting a screwdriver or something I'm the plug hole turning the engine over by hand till it is sticking out the most. You are now either at tdc on the compression or exhaust stroke. If you blow air in and hear it out the exhaust you are on the exhausted stroke. Back the crank up a little bit to make sure the intake valve has not started to open and fix the plug.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts