Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stripped Allen head in one of my mirror bolts. I need to get it out safely and I'm concerned about using a tap/die that close to my upper fairing.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Hi Jay, is the Allen key head rounded on the inside, if so can you get a Torx Bit in , you might be able to get it to grip.Bill

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Jay, is the Allen key head rounded on the inside, if so can you get a Torx Bit in , you might be able to get it to grip.Bill
I guess I'm buying a Torx set.

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
best of luck :thumb: might try an "E-Z OUT".

I X-threaded a mirror bolt,then it "sheared" off in the support. Ended up purchasing another support and started all over (carefully). Hope you're able to get out of this cheaper than I did. :hmm:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
best of luck :thumb: might try an "E-Z OUT".

I X-threaded a mirror bolt,then it "sheared" off in the support. Ended up purchasing another support and started all over (carefully). Hope you're able to get out of this cheaper than I did. :hmm:
I hope so too. But I'm thinking it may be necessary anyhow. The P.O. used a wrong larger diameter bolt as the other. I curse whomever was wrenching on this bike. It wasn't as unmolested as I thought. (sigh)

Soon enough, I'll have it all sorted out...

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I have a stripped Allen head in one of my mirror bolts. I need to get it out safely and I'm concerned about using a tap/die that close to my upper fairing.
Hey Jay,not sure what size the heads are. but I encounter rounded out 3/32" allen head screws at work on an almost daily basis. 3/32" is 0.0938", which is 2.3818 mm. In my case, a 2.5 mm is slightly larger and usually gets enough bite to get them out, much safer and quicker than a drill and easy out. Here's a conversion chart, maybe you can use the next size larger standard allen wrench and tap it in with a hammer if necessary to get enough bite to remove it. For example, if it's a 4 mm try an 11/64" allen, for a 6 mm try a 1/4" allen. It's saved me a lot of drilling headaches. Good luck. Same idea Spagiratwink is suggesting, just figured you might already have a set of standard allens at home. If it doesn't work, the Torx bits may be a better fit.

https://mdmetric.com/tech/cvtchtfdm.htm

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I hope so too. But I'm thinking it may be necessary anyhow. The P.O. used a wrong larger diameter bolt as the other. I curse whomever was wrenching on this bike. It wasn't as unmolested as I thought. (sigh)

Soon enough, I'll have it all sorted out...
Have you tried a standard allen? The P.O. (Dumb-ass) My have used a standard bolt, not knowing the difference and that's what he had laying around. Just thinking maybe someone forced in a standard bolt and a metric allen stripped the head (or vice-versa). In some peoples hands, a wrench is more dangerous than a gun. I know some of these people...

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Jay,not sure what size the heads are. but I encounter rounded out 3/32" allen head screws at work on an almost daily basis. 3/32" is 0.0938", which is 2.3818 mm. In my case, a 2.5 mm is slightly larger and usually gets enough bite to get them out, much safer and quicker than a drill and easy out. Here's a conversion chart, maybe you can use the next size larger standard allen wrench and tap it in with a hammer if necessary to get enough bite to remove it. For example, if it's a 4 mm try an 11/64" allen, for a 6 mm try a 1/4" allen. It's saved me a lot of drilling headaches. Good luck. Same idea Spagiratwink is suggesting, just figured you might already have a set of standard allens at home. If it doesn't work, the Torx bits may be a better fit.

https://mdmetric.com/tech/cvtchtfdm.htm
My Allen set is metric (only - IIRC). I have very little time for wrenching and this is one of the things I have to do if I am to make a trackday this weekend. Weather is forecast Mid 60's+

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
THe bolt was a 4mm. I think it was just soft metal combined with a poor fit square Allen key. I should have used the ball end for a more secure grip.

I'll have to work on this tomorrow if I am to be ready for the weekend as it's looking like I may actually go!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I tried fooling with it lastnight. My Extractor tool isn't as sharp as a new one and wouldn't bite.

I brought my dremel from the basement with the same thought but examined the risk and it's high. The bolt is nearly flush with the mirror mount but there is a little meat for a steady dremel wheel. I don't think enough to make a deep enough slot though, lest I sacrifice the mirror maybe cut a notch in the mount; again a steady wheel is critical.

·
Heeza Y Zasch
3,033 Posts
Is there enough room there to have a skilled welder tac a bolt to the stripped fastener, and use that to extract? We've employed that method here at work from time-to-time with success, but on much less "sensitive" equipment.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't know what a "skilled" welder is capable of. And I don't know any.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
I have had mild luck with JB Weld actually. Fill the normal recess with JB Weld, cut a small X into it and use a phillips to just back it out. It has worked for me in the past, not sure if it was just dumb luck or not... but it is a thought lol =)

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With a little bit of unintentional (?) destruction, a friend exorcized the head from the bolt and the mirror lifted off the threaded stud left behind. A pair of pliers removed the stud. The P.O. cross threaded the bolt. I'm hoping the fairing stay is salvageable.:mad:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts