Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is no way shown on the Honda website to contact them except phone or snail mail so I'm hoping someone from Honda watches this occasionally.

Several months ago I saw the DN-01, sat on it and thought it had a comfortable seating position. I soon discovered it was not what I thought it was, but, instead, a glorified scooter, with an auto trans which really cranked the price up.

Here's the concept in my mind. I'm a 59 yr old cruiser guy and find the seating position on all sport and most touring bikes uncomfortable. I'd like to see Honda expand on the "crossover" theory and meld a badass sport bike engine and handling with a riding position like the DN-01, i.e. forward foot controls, and boards instead of pegs. And, of course, a manual transmission. I understand this wouldn't have the cornering lean of a sporter, but the acceleration would be cool. How 'bout it old guys, why should we give up g-forces for a comfortable riding position?

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I'm not an old guy (by my standards :) ) but I'm thoroughly happy with my RR. An improvement might be slightly higher bars and a more comfy seat. That's it for me but Honda seems to always miss the mark. The largest growing segment is the Adventure bikes dominated by the BMW GS series and Honda has nothing. Even Yamaha, KTM and Moto Guzzi have bikes in that class now.

Even the new VFR which I was sort of looking at has fallen short of my expectations. If they would quit trying to reinvent the wheel and just get some good machines out there, you'd have a lot of happy new and existing customers.

And that DN-01 crap??? :thumbd: ...what the hell is that goofy thing all about? I'd feel like a bloody idiot riding it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I ride thousands of miles each year on road bicycles with drop bars, so the bent over position and low bars on my CBR feel natural. Plus, the stock seat feels like a living room recliner compared to the narrow rock hard leather saddle on my pedal bike.

Anyway, my suggestions for Honda for future CBR improvements are:

1. Get rid of the jigsaw puzzle fairing interlock system. I'd say about 95% of owners absolutely hate it, from what I've read on various forums. What's wrong with screws and push-pins anyway?

2. Add a gear indicator to the instrument display. My Healtech GIpro looks nice but I shouldn't have had to add something that could have easily been incorporated into the stock display from the factory.

3. Have both left and right headlights illuminate at low beam as well as high. Other motorcycle manufactures have it this way; it's not impossible to do.

·
Registered
58 Posts
RoadiJeff- I could not agree with you more. I dont know about the jigsaw ...yet. But as far as the gear indicator, absolutely a need and I would agree that it should be easy to add. I just ordered me one and should be getting it soon. As far as the headlights, I hate the one headlight on dim and two on bright. Its an appearance which repulses me. If its the one headlight but in the center, thats not as bad. But when they have just the left(or right) only "on" dim, it just makes the bike look odd. Its like having one side of the bike with decals and the other side without.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
1. Get rid of the jigsaw puzzle fairing interlock system. I'd say about 95% of owners absolutely hate it, from what I've read on various forums. What's wrong with screws and push-pins anyway?.
Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am convinced that design was intended to boost fairing sales from broken tabs. Back on track with the OP, have you considered a V-Max, B-King, 919, or Z1000?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Spot on with the headlight comments, after washing the bike last weekend the missus asked was one headlight broken.
When i demonstrated high and low beam she couldn't work out why they would do that.

As for the fairings, Mum always said if you can't say something nice say nothing at all, so :censored:

·
Registered
63 Posts
1- Gear Indicator (pretty easy for Honda to include in current cluster and they have no excuse for not providing it from the start; it's an extra (unwarranted) 150$ for loyal Honda owners to bear.
2- Plastic Cover for when you remove the licence plate stay for track days (2010 model).
3- Pre-Drilled and plugged holes (matching color) for Cut Sliders (2 sets of plugs), as we all will put them on at some stage.
4- I agree with both headlights-on suggestion
5- Engine block Serial number in a slightly more accessible place; you need to take the side panels off to access it in its current position behind the radiator.!!!

My 2 cents... cheers y'all

·
Premium Member
21,012 Posts
1- Gear Indicator (pretty easy for Honda to include in current cluster and they have no excuse for not providing it from the start; it's an extra (unwarranted) 150$ for loyal Honda owners to bear.
2- Plastic Cover for when you remove the licence plate stay for track days (2010 model).
3- Pre-Drilled and plugged holes (matching color) for Cut Sliders (2 sets of plugs), as we all will put them on at some stage.
4- I agree with both headlights-on suggestion
5- Engine block Serial number in a slightly more accessible place; you need to take the side panels off to access it in its current position behind the radiator.!!!

My 2 cents... cheers y'all
:plus1: Couldn't have put it better myself :thumb:

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I ride thousands of miles each year on road bicycles with drop bars, so the bent over position and low bars on my CBR feel natural. Plus, the stock seat feels like a living room recliner compared to the narrow rock hard leather saddle on my pedal bike.

Anyway, my suggestions for Honda for future CBR improvements are:

1. Get rid of the jigsaw puzzle fairing interlock system. I'd say about 95% of owners absolutely hate it, from what I've read on various forums. What's wrong with screws and push-pins anyway?

2. Add a gear indicator to the instrument display. My Healtech GIpro looks nice but I shouldn't have had to add something that could have easily been incorporated into the stock display from the factory.

3. Have both left and right headlights illuminate at low beam as well as high. Other motorcycle manufactures have it this way; it's not impossible to do.
I dont have an issue with this Jig saw puzzle fairing interlock system.. I like the look, so to me it is worth the extra hassle.

Gear indicator.. Well I dont know about you, but once I got used to my bike I could tell what gear I was in just by speed and revs.

Yamaha doesnt have its headlights setup like that.. I dont see why you want it to be like that? Doesnt make you more visible.
I know people who ride with their highbeams on for the same reason.. I just think they are idiots

·
Registered
286 Posts
Totally agree with the fairing interlocking thing... total PITA...

The headlights are a bit odd, but dont really bother me that much...

Gear indicator isnt really necessary, i concentrate on the road when im riding and only the road, so its hard to lose count of the gears when thats the only thing you're thinking of... your mind shouldnt b wandering when riding... just my 2 cents.... Ive riden a few sportbikes and i dont believe any of them had a gear indicator.. is it really that hard to keep count???

·
Registered
931 Posts
All the manufacturers are going to have to look at their model types. Sales have been catastrophically low the last two years (obviously), but far more importantly, the profile of riders is rapidly becoming older. My straw poll of bike meets is that its the greybeards who are buying, very few youngsters are coming into the fold and they are buying secondhand, smaller machines if only to afford the insurance.
The other problem is that bikes have been built so well (and used so little) that a ten - fifteen year old 600 is still an exiting ride and generally, still looks and works well.

My other straw poll is that a forty year old Bonneville will get far more attention than a brand new RRRRR. Manufacturers will have to start looking at incorporating modern tech into shapes that will appeal to the 50 - 60+ years olds if they want to grab whatever market there is out there.
I'm no Ludite, but I know that the elderly carby Blades were more than comfortable, had rediculously easy maintenance access and a long model run, making for a good spares supply and a large knowlege base.
Bikes now cost more than quite acceptable cars, for a youngster there is no contest, for me, I'll just keep the 90's alive and kicking in my garage.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I dont have an issue with this Jig saw puzzle fairing interlock system.. I like the look, so to me it is worth the extra hassle.

Gear indicator.. Well I dont know about you, but once I got used to my bike I could tell what gear I was in just by speed and revs.

Yamaha doesnt have its headlights setup like that.. I dont see why you want it to be like that? Doesnt make you more visible.
I know people who ride with their highbeams on for the same reason.. I just think they are idiots
Honda's "fabulous" (I'd use another word but this is a public forum) fairing system used to cause me to spend 75% of the time it takes me to do an oil/filter change just in fighting with those crazy tabs and interlocks. On my last oil change I discovered that I can do an oil/filter change without having to remove any fairings.

I believe Honda is the only major manufacturer who still hasn't added a gear indicator to the instrument display. The GSXR I rented in Vegas last year had one and I believe it was a few years old.

The headlight issue with the one-eyed pirate look just seems unbalanced. Plus, people are constantly saying things like, "Hey, one of your headlights is burned out." I printed out a mod to fix it this winter but it's something I shouoldn't have had to do in the first place, just like the GIpro gear indicator I added.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Oh it is a PITA I will admit to that.. But personally, as someone who works on their own bikes, it doesnt bother me. Once you get used to it, it doesnt take that long.

.. GSXR1000 R1 .etc all of them.. I still have yet to see a factory gear indicator. Like I already stated, people shouldnt need them. Personally I dont look down at my gauge cluster, not unless I am coming up to a playground zone and need to be doing 30km/h. I always know what gear I am in, that is just what comes with getting used to a bike.

I personally like the look of the one light on. Yes its unbalanced, but its different. I like different. Once I pick up a new bike, probably a yamaha, only thing I will change on it is the rear lights and front signals. Everything else about new bikes.. I enjoy highly.

·
Premium Member
21,012 Posts
i keep getting people flashing me, and im guessing its because i only have 1 headlight on. it gets old real quick, so now i dont have my dips on in the day :(
When I was back in Wales, me and my mates always ran with headlights, better to be seen mate, and remember you can always flash them back with your FULL beams :smilebig::smilebig:

·
Registered
469 Posts
1. 2012 RC__ with V4, TC, lightweight ABS, higher spec suspension kit
it came out in 2009.....they call it the Aprilia RSV4!! :D

for the original post.....I love how he wanted the DN-01 seating/comfort and the handling of a sportbike. I don't think that is possible on a motorcycle. You can get both of those on a unicycle...but the power is now way down!!

·
Registered
246 Posts

I'm only putting in to side with Krazed... I have no issues.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.